does anyone use their fireplace for cooking?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodmeister

Nov 2, 2008
lower ct. river
Now that i'm heating with a wood boiler I haven't used the fireplace much, but as i sit here watching Bowl games and havin' a bourbon the wheels are spinning. So the question is does anyone cook over their fireplaces? I don't have a crane for it all the ones i've seen are too long the opening is 20".The weather is mild today (40) but it would be nice to be ready when the lights go out. I would guess theres some good reciepes out there for this type of cooking.There was a joint around here, Randells Ordinary, that cooked everything in the fireplace unbelieveably good.

When I built my fireplace, I built in a removable swing-arm sort of bar from which I could hang a cast iron pot or whatever, the idea being I'd cook stuff...chili, beans, so on] from it. I tried it a few times and it worked fine. However, the soot which blackened the pot was a major hassle to clean. I quit using it. I suppose if I were sufficiently inspired, waiting til the fire burned down to a nice, thick bed of hot coals would negate the cleaning problem. I've toured old homes in the British Isles which have very large fireplaces with several such bars from which to hang pots. One nice one I recall had provisions built in to set a rack over the coals. Pretty nice. You know, a couple of bars sticking out from the back of the fireplace on which the rack could be set and then later removed when not in use.

i have 2 potatoes and a pizza cooking in my stove right now, i cook in it or on it 2 times a week or more.....

I discovered recently that the Lopi website has some nice stove top recipes at this link. Can't wait to try a few!
http://lopistoves.com/stovecooking/

Oh, and I just checked and my largest #9 cast iron Griswold dutch oven actually fits on my INSERT stove top! now that's the kinda insert I was looking for! (one that would meet my clearances and floor space but behave more like a freestanding stove, I hope! - Lopi 1750i)

argus66 said:
i have 2 potatoes and a pizza cooking in my stove right now, i cook in it or on it 2 times a week or more.....

How are you doing that with the F3? Sounds interesting, not much room on top.

Tautog baked in the stove and stovetop mac and cheese.

Attachments

• tog11.jpg
    tog11.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 190
  • tog22.jpg
    tog22.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 170
Status
Not open for further replies.