Does Black Locust Grow in New Hampshire?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fsr4538

Jul 13, 2007
Anyone know?

Is it native to NH? No.

Has it been planted just about everywhere? Yes. It has many desirable properties, including strength, relatively high rot resistance, and beauty.

Will it thrive? I do know you can find it in Canada.

Yes it grows in NH. The furthest north I have seen it in NH was on the Kangamangus highway near Lincoln. I have seen lots of it in southern NH.

We have black locust growing here in Central Maine -- Waterville/Bangor area. I suspect there should be plenty in New Hampshire.

I live in the Monadnock region, and although I've seen a few, it is an uncommon tree - at least in the areas that I've spent time. Cheers!

peterc38 said:
Yes it grows in NH. The furthest north I have seen it in NH was on the Kangamangus highway near Lincoln. I have seen lots of it in southern NH.

I LOVE the Kankamangus Hwy. !!!! What a beautiful road. I drove it twice last fall with the wife. Once at night (pitch black,treacherous turns), and then again the next day....WOW...just beautiful. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.