Does clean glass = clean chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

danham

Burning Hunk
Jan 12, 2012
Cape Cod, MA
If I am adjusting and operating my stove in such a way that the glass is staying clean, does that mean I am preventing buildup of creosote in the chimney (insulated liner)?

Seems like the opposite would be true. Constantly dirty glass would mean the chimney was getting coated too. But can the chimney get dirty when the glass is staying clean?

-dan

Sure, you still can have build-up. But it should be less since you should have a higher quality burn w/ the glass staying clean.

pen

My glass on the 30 stays clean and clear for over a month. But I still get some accumulation in the chimney. Whether the bricks in the firebox stay clean is a better indicator of your burning habits than the glass. But nothing replaces looking down that pipe. And in the case of a free standing stove with connector pipe and elbows, looking inside that connector pipe.

All part of heating this way. Splitting the wood is just the first step of heating with wood.

+1 to Pen and BB . . . I always view clean glass as one possible indication that I'm burning cleanly . . . but the truth is all revealed when I start cleaning.

I get a tan haze on my glass and not sure what it is? I am in the process of changing all the gaskets and will be doing a cleaning of the chimney etc over the weekend. 1st year burning so I am curious to see what is up there.

Its not always the case, as some guys will point out. You may have a really clean burn going, but if you have cold air leaking in your flue (at a not-so-tight pipe connection) you can get build-up at and above that connection.....

Depends on the stove type, too. If a stove burns the gases after they leave the firebox (as with catalytic stoves or those with the combustion chamber in the rear like Everburns), you could have a very dirty firebox but still not get much in the way of chimney deposits.

Never, never, never assume your chimney is clean!!! The only way to solve the riddle is to check it. Then if it needs it, clean it.....right away.

Is it a safe assumption that the hotter the gas is when leaving the chimney, the less buildup there will be on the pipewalls?

Realstone said:
Is it a safe assumption that the hotter the gas is when leaving the chimney, the less buildup there will be on the pipewalls?
BINGO was his name-O! That is correct. The creosote forms when the semi warm gas runs into a colder chimney. It condenses on the walls of the chimney leaving a deposit. Hence the reason you want to get that flue temp up, which when your wood is seasoned and your fire burns very hot with less smoke, the flue gasses are not carrying as much wasted wood vapor up the flue and the flue being hotter will not condense what does go up the flue.

Ok, then let me make another no-brainer assumption. Less pipe bends, closer to vertical, and pipe with less exposure to colder outside air = hotter flue gas?

Realstone said:
Ok, then let me make another no-brainer assumption. Less pipe bends, closer to vertical, and pipe with less exposure to colder outside air = hotter flue gas?
not necessarily. Insulated class A chimney will ensure hotter flue temps, the least amount of bends doesn't really affect it as much. Through-the-wall installations all have at least one 90° bend, usually two. The best way to ensure a good flue temp is to install double wall pipe on the inside of the living space and class A pipe anywhere the flue will be exposed to cold. Single wall pipe inside the heated space will still allow condensation and creosote inside the pipe.

The last time i cleaned my chimney a month and a half ago i had more soot in the single wall pipe in the house then i did inside my triple wall pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.