Does everyone in here runs their Pellet Stoves overnight?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

katwillny

I have a Breckwell P22 which I have been using for the past few winters. I usually turn it off right before we go to bed. By then the house is nice and toasty. Any objections to running the stove overnight? any concerns? Fears?

i heat my house 24/7 when it's cold enough to warrant it. i've been burning wood appliances for many years while home, and not home, sleeping, etc.... never have had an reason for concern. though i will admit, the first couple times i left my stoves running when i wasn't home, took a bit getting used to. after that, no problem. if you have a good proper install, clean chimney and/or lining, you should be all set. good luck.

i few co and smoke detectors in the house also helps getting over it burning when you're asleep. imo.

Not at all. If it's a really cold night, we leave it on. That assumes basic safety, for example that your stove is clean enough, that you have a smoke and carbon monoxide alarm and so forth. But I would check with people who have your specific model of stove to be sure there are no safety problems. Of course, you're burning pellets and may be wasting them if you don't mind the place being cooler when you get up in the morning.

Ours is always on when heat is needed. It takes a bit of getting used to but just like riding in a car you come to get more comfortable as your experience progresses. Just get in the habit of making a quick but thorough inspection every time you leave it unattended like that and you will soon feel right at home. The stove pretty much takes care of itself with its internal safety devices. The things I worry about most are loose papers and ignitable fabrics, pillows ect... that can get moved around by fighting cats, careless kids ect. I mounted a combination fire / CO detector on the wall up above mine near the ceiling so as to give plenty of warning early on if ever needed and park a 10lb fire extinguisher right behind mine as well.

I run mine off a thermostat that turns it down at 5:30 AM just long enough to shut down so I can dump the burn pot. Otherwise it runs 24/7 off a programmable thermostat. Good one on the extinguisher though I'll have to get one to put near the stove...being safe means never having to say your're sorry!!

24-7 from now til probably close to easter. Trying to keep from supporting the "SAND RATS" living in large palaces in the desert...........

From Nov. to April at least, mine is on 24/7 shutting down only for cleanings.

Yeah, the first couple times was pretty nerve wrecking. I leave mine on 24/7 when temps warrant it. usually nov1 -> march 15th.

Pellet stoves are pretty safe. There's only been a handful of people who said they had problems with the pellet bin catching on fire that i've seen. Flukes/accidents do and can happen.

That's why i went for the insert over a freestanding model. God forbid if the thing catches on fire, at least its in my fireplace and likely won't cause any damage to my house. But, I also work from home, so i'm close by most the day.

keep an extinguisher handy, and smoke detectors up to date, and you'll 99.999% most likely will not have an issue.
Also make sure your homeowners policy includes/notes that you have a stove. God forbid it burns your house down, you need to make sure you're covered. My ins. went up $3 a month by adding the stove to my policy. A small price to pay vs losing the whole house and them not covering it.

Edit- I see you're in Beacon. Nice area. I went to school up there and miss it so much this time of year (Marist). Nothing prettier than the Hudson river banks in fall.

We run ours 24/7. The intent is to heat our house and replace the use of Oil for a forced hot water system - which it does. I check the ash build up and pellet use daily and let the thermostat do its job. I clean the stove per the manufacures spec. and get it serviced each season by the dealer before the season starts. One of the reasons that we purchased a Quad. Mount Vernon was because of the safty features. We also have carbon monoxide/diaoxide detectors on each floor of the house.

We would not have purchase a stove if we thought that is would not be safe. So far it has been a really smart decision.

briansol, we also love it up here in Beacon. Been up here for about 5 years and love this time of year. Beautiful colors. Moved up here from the City.

I'm with in-control on this. I take advantage of the programmable thermostat to set back the target temperature significantly (58F) at night, but the stove remains on 24/7. Around 5:40 AM I bump it to 71F, and so on. It runs when it needs to within these constraints. I expect pellets to replace a lot of LP this year.

Regarding CO: I have CO detectors on every floor and in every sleeping room, which is the gold standard.

KatWill said:
briansol, we also love it up here in Beacon. Been up here for about 5 years and love this time of year. Beautiful colors. Moved up here from the City.

Hey katwill, your "neighbor" macman here from across the Hudson in New Windsor. I've had both stoves I've owned on a 'stat during heating season, and have NO quams about burning at night. These stoves have many safety systems to shut them off in case of a problem.

Only other thing is making sure you have GOOD quality Carbon Monoxide detectors in the house....... one near the stove, and also a couple near bedrooms.

BTW, lived in Beacon a long time ago after getting out of college (in Chelsea Ridge).....1978-84.

In the beginning, I was nervous about leaving the house with the stove running
or letting it run overnite unattended. Once I got used to it, I got over it.

This year I may turn it off at nite and let the furnace take over if needed because
NG is cheaper than pellets right now...but thats another topic.

Hey there macman... thanks for your reply. I do have 5 Carbon Monoxide detectors through the house. I al so have a woodburning stove downstairs so im set with that. A good buddy of mine just moved into Chelsea Ridge a few weeks ago. Hey I see you have a Generac System. I am looking for something similar as we get constant blackouts in Beacon. How is that working for ya...?

KatWill said:
Hey there macman... thanks for your reply. I do have 5 Carbon Monoxide detectors through the house. I al so have a woodburning stove downstairs so im set with that. A good buddy of mine just moved into Chelsea Ridge a few weeks ago. Hey I see you have a Generac System. I am looking for something similar as we get constant blackouts in Beacon. How is that working for ya...?

Glad to hear about all the CO detectors....can't be too safe with that stuff.

The Generac works fine. Powers almost the entire house, w/ the exception of the electric stove (use Microwave), and a few lights in the basement. I run mine on Propane - 100 Gal. Tank. When the tank is full, it should hold me for about 3-4 days at 50-60% load if needed. Longest I ran it at one time was 2-3 years ago....power was out for about 36 hours. Used about 1/3 tank.

Runs the heating system, and even the 25,000 btu A/C unit in the summer. Got it at Home Despot. Got it on sale, and opened a HD charge account and got another 10% off that. I think it cost me about $2300 back in '04.

If you get one, don't forget, unless your an electrician, or are VERY comfortable with working in the breaker box, have a licensed electrician install the electric part. I also made sure the town inspector checked it out & certified the install. Don't forget to have it listed in your homeowners insurance too.

thank for the info Macman. Whats with the Pellet pig Club? lol

KatWill said:
thank for the info Macman. Whats with the Pellet pig Club? lol

LOL! Just a funny thing that started when a forum member (eernest4) made a comment about people hoarding pellets last year....he called them "pellet pigs" (see the quote he made, in my signature...that's what started it all).

It kinda grew from that. We have all kinds of "rules" on how to be a pellet pig. I named eernest4 the "grand poobah", Eric from Kinsman Stoves is the "2nd high grand poobah, and I am the "treasurer"....LOL.

I guess it partly kept going, since there are times when we just get tired talking about the same things here....kinda a comic relief valve.

Now, if you REALLY want to laugh, search for posts by member "SlickPlant"....there was one post last winter w/ her that I was crying laughing.

Do a search of this site...you'll have a lot to read, and have some laughs along the way.

Pete

EDIT: Forgot to mention...the pellet pig thing actually ended-up being mentioned on the news...guess we officially "coined a phrase"

Will do a search tonight. There are some funny folks on this forum.
i was kinda hoping that it was an actual Pellet Society that met at the local pub and talked pellets over beer, wings and burgers. LOL. Id pledge and join. LOL. Orange County Pellet Pig Club. LOL.

KatWill said:
....i was kinda hoping that it was an actual Pellet Society that met at the local pub and talked pellets over beer, wings and burgers. LOL. Id pledge and join. LOL. Orange County Pellet Pig Club. LOL.

Now THAT is the kind of club I want to join!! I'm in......

You probably need to make another post to "call in" the other Orange, Dutchess, and Putnam pellet burners.

Thats a great idea. Lets do it. What better time than Pellet talking, beer and some football on a Sunday afternoon. LOL.

We run our Whitfield 24/7. We leave it on when were gone all day.These's stove are very safe.

I run Auto/off on a programable t-stat till it gets in the 20's. Then its Hi/lo 24/7. Be doing this for 10 years and As long as you keep it clean, There hasn't been an issue.

jay

KatWill said:
I have a Breckwell P22 which I have been using for the past few winters. I usually turn it off right before we go to bed. By then the house is nice and toasty. Any objections to running the stove overnight? any concerns? Fears?

I only do it when it's cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.