Does front of insert need a support?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John_S

Sep 29, 2007
Ann Arbor, MI
Hello,

I have a ZC Marclo classic 36" heat circulating fire place, and I am interested in purchasing the Lennox C210 Performer insert. However, the front of the insert will extend out beyond the firebox and will be 5 5/16" above the hearth. I have had one dealer tell me that I need some support under the front of the insert and one dealer tell me that I do not, because all of the weight is in the back. Can some body please give me more definitive answer? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

John

Hi -

Many manufacturers have manuals available online for you to download. That should settle the question. They may also have a 1-800 type number for tech support.

The manual is what the inspector(s) I'm familiar with will go by.

ATB,
Mike P

What is under the hearth, can you see it from the basement or crawlspace? I suspect that no additional support should be required, but it's worth hearing out the first dealer's concerns. If it looks like an unsupported concrete slab, perhaps it could just use some corner bracing?

Thanks for the input, I'll call Lennox.

The hearth is brick, but my concern is that the the insert will protrude about 1 1/2 fee out of the fire box and this portion of the insert will be about 5 5/16" above the hearth. Therefore, I am wondering if I should put a support under the blower on the insert to the hearth. Thanks again for any help.

You could always line some nice stone under it to match the contour of the insert where it overhangs.

All the inserts we install that stick out have a hearth support scissors lift available to hold out the front. Without they can get pretty wobbly.

1 1/2 ft out....yea I would want some support. But I would like to look nice too. hogwildz has the right idea. Do you have a blower fan on front this? my Regency does, and it comes with a matching support.

I haven't purchased the unit yet, but I do plan on purchasing a blower to go with it. I have looked online and have not found anything regarding a matching support. Does anyone else have the Lennox Country Performer C210? If so, did it come with the support?

Ours are a separate add-on accessory made by the manufacturer of the stove. It is listed in the manual as an accessory and also in the price book.

I was planning on putting the support on my Country (Lennox) C160 insert, however once the insert was installed into my ZC fireplace it was obvious I did not need it. These supports are listed as a option for Country inserts, once you get the insert in and hooked up you will get a better idea if you need it or not by pushing down on front of insert, if it moves easy get the support, if it don't move, forget about it. FYI, the blower is a option as well on these, highly recommend getting a blower

Thank you for the replies. I feel better knowing that Country does offer the support, however I have not found any information on it, and none of the multiple dealers that I have spoken with are aware of it. Is there any information online regarding the support for the Country insert?

Yes, we are planning on going with the blower. Is the Country blower rather quiet? Are you satisfied with it?

HMM, I don't see the support on the Lennox website either
, I am however looking at my sales invoice from my dealer, and it say's Hearth Support-by Country $50, than it is added as a credit on the next line as I ended up not getting it. I would think your dealer could order one. What state do you live in??

As for the blower, IMO it is a little on the noisy side when turned up all the way high not too bad on low/med. but a must for these inserts

Thanks again for the replies.

I live in Ann Arbor, MI and have to admit that the dealers within ~ 70 miles haven't been that knoweledgeable, and have made me a bit worried about purchasing an insert.

OK, I plan to definitely go with the blower.

I am also planning on painting the insert. Does anyone have any experience painting inserts?

Status
Not open for further replies.