Does Harman offer the only bottom feeding pellet stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nanama72

Mar 9, 2008
Western MA
We are trying to decide between a pellet and wood insert to heat our home. Our local Harman dealer told us the Accentra would not provide enough heat and we're looking for an insert with at least 60.000 BTU. However, we really like the bottom feeding feature of the Harman. Are there any other pellet inserts currently on the market which do bottom feeding?

Thanks

Maybe take a look at the larger Harmon models. P61, P61A, P68 should be plenty if you are looking at 60K btu.

Try Squier Lumber in Monson, cheapest prices I have found.

I beleive that Englander makes bottom feeding stoves, but don't know much about them. My P61A has had some minor issues over the years, but I would definately buy another one if I was in the market for a stove. I owned a Quad 1200 before teh P61A, and hated it like the plague.

I tried to look through one of the Englander manuals but it didn't say if it was top or bottom feeding. Does anyone else know?

Thanks

convertingtowood said:
I tried to look through one of the Englander manuals but it didn't say if it was top or bottom feeding. Does anyone else know?

Thanks

Based on what I see in the manuals, the Englanders look like top feeders to me. Perhaps someone who uses one or Mike from Englander can chime in.

convertingtowood said:

Thanks

The Englanders are bottom feed. They have two augers. The top one drops the pellets down to the bottom one which then feeds the pellets directly into the back of the burn pot like the Accentra.

The top auger runs intermittently based on desired burn rate and the bottom one runs at a constant speed.

If you ask me, I'd say the Englander is something in between. The pellets don't fall from a tube above and they don't push from under the fire like a Harman does.

The pellets come out about level with the fire. My old Englander would never push the ash out of the burn pot.

I guess you could call the Englander a bottom feed and the Harman an under feed. But having had both, there's a big difference, IMO.

I think the Harman design is patented.

Status
Not open for further replies.