does higher rise in vent cause

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rayttt

Feeling the Heat
Jan 11, 2008
poconos pa
does higher rise in vent pipe cause more draft or less draft?

I have bought a duravent kit that has the standard out, Cleanout t, and 3 to 5 foot rise(whatever it is).
I havent installed it yet..but saw 3 foot extension pipes also...and was wondering if I add an additional 3 ft rise
to the piping would that increase draft or add more resistance to airflow thereby decreasing draft??

My main reason for adding the T,rise piping instead of my straight out the wall pipe
was to stop the smoking in the house issues during power failure.

The best thing to do is check the recommendations in your manual. A little more rise could give you better draft but it depends on a couple things. If you are using 3" pipe and increase your rise beyound about 15', then your draft may decrease. To compensate you would need to increase your vent pipe size to 4". I think the more rise you have, the more resistence it creates. If you can, stay around 4' to 8' and that should be good with the 3" pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.