1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

does higher rise in vent cause

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by rayttt, Dec 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rayttt

rayttt Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    poconos pa
    does higher rise in vent pipe cause more draft or less draft?

I have bought a duravent kit that has the standard out, Cleanout t, and 3 to 5 foot rise(whatever it is).
    I havent installed it yet..but saw 3 foot extension pipes also...and was wondering if I add an additional 3 ft rise
    to the piping would that increase draft or add more resistance to airflow thereby decreasing draft??

My main reason for adding the T,rise piping instead of my straight out the wall pipe
    was to stop the smoking in the house issues during power failure.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. crausch

crausch New Member

Loc:
    Littlestown, PA
    The best thing to do is check the recommendations in your manual. A little more rise could give you better draft but it depends on a couple things. If you are using 3" pipe and increase your rise beyound about 15', then your draft may decrease. To compensate you would need to increase your vent pipe size to 4". I think the more rise you have, the more resistence it creates. If you can, stay around 4' to 8' and that should be good with the 3" pipe.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.