Does it hurt stove to not run on high ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timalabim

Jul 11, 2008
eastern ma
I've had my Breckwell P23I installed for a little over a week. I've never had it running over level 3.

I am running on a thermostat, so it is actually running down on level 1+4 most of the time.

I know you're not supposed to run on 5 for long periods, but am I doing harm, like not burning off creosote or something, if I don't crank it up once in a while?

timalabim said:
I've had my Breckwell P23I installed for a little over a week. I've never had it running over level 3.

I am running on a thermostat, so it is actually running down on level 1+4 most of the time.

I know you're not supposed to run on 5 for long periods, but am I doing harm, like not burning off creosote or something, if I don't crank it up once in a while?

Kinda depends on how sensitive your stove is. I am currently in the process of starting a new business called "The Stove Whisperer". Many people don't realize that stoves have needs, wants, and desires that aren't readily apparent to their owners. I can come to your house and listen to your stove and empathize with it, and we'll all be happy.

I just spoke to my P68 and asked him if it bothers him to run on a low setting. He told me he's OK with that, but I shouldn't blame him if the viewing glass needs to be cleaned more often. He ranted feed me, feed me, and I told him the hopper was full.

It shouldn't matter if your running on low or not. As long as the fuel/air ratio is right, your stove will burn efficient and you should only see ash never creosote.

Probably not hurting the stove, but, my manual
recommends a daily high burn of at least a half hour.

I know I've heard it mentioned here before and I'm
sure this type of practice is good to burn off any
crap that might possibly build up on the glass or
in the pipes.

My manual says to start it on 5 pellet feed, 5 air flow. I have never done that, always start it on 1-1. Hope I'm not doing something wrong.

When it's 20 below i run mine on high all day if need be. I done a few times last season never a problem. They have high limit switches for that reason.

sydney1963 said:
My manual says to start it on 5 pellet feed, 5 air flow. I have never done that, always start it on 1-1. Hope I'm not doing something wrong.

When your englander is in start-up mode, 5-5 is what the rates are automatically running at until the stove kicks out of start up mode. It then goes back to your 1-1 setting that you have it at.

How are you going to see what that baby can do unless you crank it up?

Status
Not open for further replies.