Does it make sense to install a cleanout T in a straight run of interior doublewall pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

noelmichele

Hearth Supporter
May 6, 2008
boston
We are getting ready to install our wood stove (Jotul 3CB) and the installer recommends that we put a T in the line to make
it easy to clean out the pipe (he is a chimmney sweep). I have never seen this done on a wood stove and I am worried that it will not look very nice. We are having the pipe come out the top of the stove and we are using double wall pipe the whole way.

I would like to know if this is standard practice? The installer said that it is so difficult to clean these stoves because they have internal baffling, so he recommends putting in a T.

Thanks to all who can offer advice. NM

The 3CB top comes off by loosening two easy to remove allen screws. It's not a hard stove to clean, so I would say as long as you have an adjustable length of pipe connecting the stove, the tee isn't really necessary. But if you do go for the tee, consider connecting it via the rear exit option for a cleaner look.

And now BB will probably come up with a completely different and interesting option.

My Hearthsone is installed with a 100% vertical chimney right out of the top of the stove. This methos is ideal and much sought after. I would avoid anything else if the vertical job is possible.

100% vertical gives two options: Remove the single baffle plate from the stove and run the brush down the chimney into the firebox. Or unhook the interior double wall from the stove, slip the telescoping section together about a foot, put a bag under the bottom, and brush into the bag.

The stove itself doesn't need to be brushed. When you slip the interior double wall section together you could suck out any junk setting just inside the stove.

Here is what my Oslo looks like with a rear exit flue and tee.

I would consider putting a tee in with a rear exit flue, only if the following applies to your installation:

you clean your own pipe and dont want to disconnect anything
you have rear clearance issues from combustibles and dont want to use a heatshield
you want the stove too stick out further on the hearth

Just my 2 cents

WoodButcher

Attachments

• oslo_w_t_01.jpg
    oslo_w_t_01.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 217
  • oslo_w_t_02.jpg
    oslo_w_t_02.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 225
Status
Not open for further replies.