does it matter how I load my stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NYCPrincess

Oct 13, 2014
Westbury, ny
I have a Shelburne. I always load east-west. my husband is loading first layer north-south (two logs). And next layer he loads east- west (two logs). I can't help but feel he is doing it wrong. Thoughts? Is there anything wrong with loading n/s in a e/w stove?

Not really. Some members actually prefer a square firebox so they can chose the orientation as they see fit. Loading the first layer N-S can help getting air under the splits which will ease igniting the splits above. On the other hand, if the wood is really dry and ignites quickly it may also lead more easily to an overfire situation when not watched carefully. Hence, it depends on the quality of your wood and your draft whether it helps, has little impact, or may be dangerous. Part of the fun burning wood is experimenting how to get the most out of your stove.

Reactions: NYCPrincess
I load my Shelburne E /W as that's the only way my splits fit.
I also pack them in tight with minimal air flow between the logs once it has a coal bed established.
Seems to work well. I can restart on coals up to 11 hours after the last load, I'm happy with that.

Exactly what Grisu said. My stove is relatively shallow so even tough I prefer N-S loading because less of a chance of a log rolling off on a glass most of the time I am forced to load E-W. In theory E-W will provide a longer burn.

I can tell you what I'd do, not that my way is the right way. I'll load NS or EW, but never both at the same time. Seems to me that it would burn the wood up a lot faster and possibly overfire. I try to pack my logs as tightly as possible causing the wood to burn at a slower rate.

You're both right. Setting a couple N/S sleepers a few inches apart is a good way to start the fire. It allows air to get under the wood and starts the fire easier. On a reload when there is a coal bed this is not necessary usually.

I load my Shelburne E /W as that's the only way my splits fit.
I also pack them in tight with minimal air flow between the logs once it has a coal bed established.
Seems to work well. I can restart on coals up to 11 hours after the last load, I'm happy with that.

Whenever I pack tightly on a bed of coals, I get very few flames if any. Wouldn't it smoother the fire? Don't you need flames?

The air control must be re-opened first. You won't get any flames until the wood ignites. Rake the coal bed to the front center then load up the stove. If the wood is dry it will be aflame in 5 minutes. At that point start incrementally lowering the air supply.

Like Begreen said, if the wood is dry it will ignite. If it's too wet it'll hiss and smolder and essentially put the fire out.

My wife and I each have a house and a stove, she has always burned not so dry wood and I've always had fairly dry splits. Two totally different stove operating procedures. Her stove needs air between the logs and she'll add a log mid cycle to get it to dry and the air is usually wide open.

Mine, tightly packed, run full cycles of wood (several hours without opening the door) and within a 40 minutes of a fresh load the air is shut down either all the way or at least 75% closed

I'm thinking you probably have damp wood. If you don't have a moisture meter to check it. Try buying a couple of bundles of the kiln dried stuff you see in the store (make sure it's inside and dry) and burn that for a night to see if it's runs differently.

What begreen said. But also remember if you do E-W sometimes you cover the air intake. It's easy to do on my stove. If I pack it so tighth that I cover my air intake it will take a little while to reignite. That's why it's a good idea to to put a first layer of your load N-S

Status
Not open for further replies.