does it really

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
does a dirty blower motor fan really effect anything besides the speed of air blowing out?

Besides not being able to move enough air to warm your house it can also allow your stove to overheat to the point a high temperature shut down will occur.

In addition to that little issue it can also cause the motor on the blower to fail earlier.

I have seen a few get unbalanced and damage the impeller wheel once the fan went into high speed. Made a heck of a rachet! I saw another get jammed with lint balls and burn the motor up, What a nasty smell that was. The one that stands out the most is here:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/50579/

Stuck motor(lack of lube) over heats the stove. Tech wants to throw a control board at it for $300. All it was, was overheated and the snap disk needed to be reset. Eventually we had to swap out the fan with a new one. Still saved him lots a cash!

If you keep it clean and lubed it will last longer. Same goes for the Combustion motor.

chrisasst said:
does a dirty blower motor fan really effect anything besides the speed of air blowing out?
I'd guess that the glass would get dirtier as I think the excess combustion air from a pelletstove [other than europa]is heatwaste.

also a bad motor will draw more amps and cost you more for electricity, or eventually pop your breaker if it draws too many amps for your breaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.