Does Masonry chimney need a repair?-hair line crack (1)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Temmi

Feb 2, 2009
WA State
Hello All,

First Time here. I am self-installing a new LOPI 1250 in an exhisting masonry chimney with ceramic flu liner. I live in Northern WA. state and have not had the best experience with the wood stove retailers or chimneysweeps in my area. I am a female and the sky's the limit with cost and BS.
I have two questions.

1) Had a chimney sweep clean recently. He showed me through the connection port a small hair line crack. He said the chimney was in unsatisfactory condition. He spent 10 minutes cleaning the chimney and didn't evan take his ladder off his truck. Never got on the roof! The cap at roof level is visably not cleaned. He then spent 25 minutes sitting in his truck drawing up a re-line bid. $2,400.00. He was obese, so I think he really dosen't work too hard. I really hate this stuff.
When I researched on the web, what a damaged chimney consists of, all I could find was when outer bricks are cracked or loose and when the ceramic or clay liner has pieces falling off of it. My gut instinct says this chimney is fine. It is 20 years old, built by a mason. It was my first house and I hod carried for the mason back then.
2) I have researched and would like the interior pipe to be the Duratec DVL (black color dbl. wall). I am looking for a source on the internet with decent prices. The prices seem to be all over the place and times are a little tight right now. Any help is appriciated.
I discovered this site and thought I would give it a try.

Thx!

Thx so much for your reply. I will take a mirror and flash light and have a look. I can pick up the other stuff and do that as well.
The sweep used the cleanout door at the bottom on the outside of the cinder block part. The hairline is on the inside ceramic flu liner part.
I was cleaning in the back part of the house, so I did not keep an eye on him, until I saw him sitting in his truck. He was there 25 minuts of a 45 minute call. So I know he only spent 15 minutes on the actual chimney. I was with him for 5 of those last minutes as he dimantled the pipe inside and pulled out the adapter and "discovered" the "Oh No" hairline crack with his flashlight. I could barely make it out when he showed me. He then told me: "The good news is to repair it, I will not have to take down your whole chimney. I can just re-line it for you."
As a gal, I get the same type of "Oh No's" on many things, car repairs, furnace yearly maintenance, etc. I now finally have an honest furnace company and car repair guy. The Chimney / Wood Stove is a new one, I am working on.
But really, it is not Rocket Science. A person (evan a woman) can get educated and learn to do some of these things, don't you agree? It just takes a little help from folks who have already DIY.
Thank You!

If there is a crack you can see - there are more than likely cracks that you can't see. The safest and best thing for stove performance is the full reline.
You can do this yourself, if you can access the top of the chimney.
Places that get recommended for pipe and liners are: Harts Hearth, and Chimneydepotsupply.com - Do Not Use VENTINGPIPE.com, you will wait forever, if you even get the product at all. They actually stole my money and never delivered a product from my order.
Goodluck.

Temmi:

First things first - get a second (and/or third) sweep (or other professional) to give you another evaluation.

You're obviously uncomfortable with the current guy... and spending a few more dollars on a second opinion could save you a whole lot more money in the long run.

Peter B.

-----

Thanks Guys!
I'm going to start by looking as well and thorough at the flu myself. Then I'm going to do a cleaning myself from the top down. Already purchased brush. I have a floor scraper for the cap. I also know the volunteer Fire Cheif and will solicit his opinion. I have helped to raise money for them.
I do not trust the chimney sweeps in this area. The retailers and installers recommend these guys and then when asked why, they just say they havn't heard much negatives. Please! Either you are an up front type person, who does chimney cleaning for a $ amount for the service and you have a good track record or you don't. I am just not comfortable, like you said.
I sure do appreciate all your help though. After I inspect and clean, I will re-post. Maybe with pics!
I enjoy the adventure and have tackled many DIY projects. It's all in the attitude.
Oh and by the way, if I need a re-line, I have no problem paying out the money for a good kit and doing that one myself as well. The chimney is open at the top. The flu, of coarse is larger than the 6" pipe, so I could improve on the draw and efficiency with a re-line. But that's yet to be determined.

Pyro Extraordinaire: My same thoughts on the guy. I really wish I had followed him around. Instead I respected him. I would have rather looked like a dumb broad than be in the situation I am in now, less $150.00 for 10 minute drive and 10 minutes of who knows what! What's that per hour? $450.00? GEEEEEEZZZZ!
Thank You!!!!!

Should it turn out you do need to reline your chimney, consider a poured in place liner. Although it was now 5 years ago, when I had this done the cost for a 30 foot chimney was a bit less than $1500 - very competitive with stainless liners unless you install yourself. There are at least 3 different cast systems. Supaflu (www.supaflu.com) was the one I used and I remain very pleased with the product and the installers.

Status
Not open for further replies.