Does more wood = more heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zanp

Dec 4, 2007
Asheville NC
Do you typically get more heat output per cycle if you load up your firebox with more wood? Or is wood only capable of reaching a certain temperature meaning 3 splits will essentially reach the same temperature as 4 splits. I know it depends on the wood but lets just assume we are dealing with the same species and it is well seasoned.

Hope this ? makes sense

you will get more heat not more temperature
3 splits will get as hot as 6, but will not sustain the temperature as long

In my experience the same amount of wood split 4x as opposed to split 3x will give you more heat but not last as long.

There are many trade offs heating with wood. It not an even heat throughout the house but so what? While my wife like it hot and toasty I'm more than willing to migrate to a cooler part of the house jsut so she's content.

The thing with wood is that I save tons of coin, about 3k a year...if I want it hotter I just throw on more wood and let it burn hotter. Wood is less expensive than any readily available alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.