Does no smoke mean clean burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drach

Dec 2, 2011
South Central WI
First year with a new EPA stove. Burning OK wood, which means I bought it from someone that said it was well seasoned. Had a full load in the stove burned about halfway down stove top temp at about 450, no flame just red hot logs, checked outside and no smoke coming out chimney. I hear everyone say that if you don't have smoke coming out of the chimney you are burning clean, is that true even if there is no flames (primary or secondary) in the stove.

It sounds like you checked too late in the cycle for smoke to be happening. Red hot logs means the volatile compounds that make up the flame (and smoke if unburnt) have been driven out of the wood. You are essentially down to the charcoal.

If there are active flames (or just smoke being generated in cat stove) and no visible smoke out of the chimney, then yes, you are burning "clean".

Yep, you're burning clean.
I get smoke on reloads for a while, then steam for ± an hour, then hard to see anything coming out.
Check the chimney monthly, like you said OK wood, so some creosote may be forming. That will tell you more about how clean your burning

Thanks for the reassurance's. Been keeping eye on chimney, looks pretty good. Should be getting my sooteater in the mail today or tomorrow. Will give that a try this weekend and see what I come up with.

If it's good now, you will be very happy with seasoned wood. My sons mixxed up the stacks and grabbed some less than ideal wood... Cut in the Spring of 2011, split during the Summer. It doesn't hiss but it's just not what we're used to. How quickly we get spoiled!

ATB,
Mike

zzr7ky said:
If it's good now, you will be very happy with seasoned wood. My sons mixxed up the stacks and grabbed some less than ideal wood... Cut in the Spring of 2011, split during the Summer. It doesn't hiss but it's just not what we're used to. How quickly we get spoiled!

ATB,
Mike

I bought enough wood to let some sit for the year so should have some good wood for next year. Been cutting my own trying to get ahead so we don't have to worry about it again. Looking forward to seeing what the stove can do with some dry wood.

Drach

I'd take a look at the chimney earlier in the burn. By the time you are down to charcoal it is hard not to burn clean. Any smoke you might produce will happen while there is flame in the firebox. Everyone gets some smoke on reload, but after 10 or 20 minutes you should be able to burn without much, if any, smoke.

Remember that burning clean and burning efficient can mean two different things. My insert burns most efficiently when outside temperatures are low. When its warm enough to barely need a fire its near impossible for me to burn clean and not make the house too hot.

Drach said:
zzr7ky said:

ATB,
Mike

I bought enough wood to let some sit for the year so should have some good wood for next year. Been cutting my own trying to get ahead so we don't have to worry about it again. Looking forward to seeing what the stove can do with some dry wood.

Drach

Welcome to the forum Mike.

Your question is actually difficult to answer. The first thing I thought of is green wood just sitting there and you can't get flame from it. It is sort of like if you've ever had an outdoor bonfire, as the fire burns down you'll see the wettest wood sitting there looking reddish but not really burning. This may or may not be the case with your wood. How does it do when trying to light a fire from scratch? Hard to get the fire going or really easy. And you'll quickly learn that wood sellers all sell "seasoned" or "well seasoned" wood. That is, by their opinion only. It is a very rare case to get dry wood when buying.

Congratulations to you for thinking ahead with the wood supply. Cutting your own is usually best and also realize that getting that wood split right away is also one of the biggest keys to drying wood. Then stacking it off the ground out in the open where it will get wind. Sun is nice too but wind is really your friend when it comes to drying wood. I'd also like to invite you over to the Wood Shed forum here on hearth.com if you haven't already visited there. There are many, many folks there with lots of knowledge about wood and wood burning.

Just look for the pretty blue flame, just like you see on a gas stove. Can't get any cleaner burning then that!!! If you see the blue, you normally will not have any smoke!

Craig

Most of the wood is pretty good, it starts of with a little paper and a couple sticks of fat wood. Once in awhile I will get a sizzler boiling off some moisture. I pretty much always get secondaries once stove top gets to temp, not always pretty blue, but fire jets and swirling at the top of the stove. I have checked out the wood shed and got some great tips, I'm lookig forward to having fully dried wood that I'm not paying for.

Drach

Status
Not open for further replies.