Does Osage Orange grow near YOU?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood-fan-atic

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
The Holy Grail of firewood. I have never seen any here on Long Island - it seems to be more prevalent in the mid-west. Does it grow anywhere else?

At least there is no shortage of black locust here. :)

Being from the Midwest - yeah, we gotz lotz of monkey brain trees. :) Seems to grow in any fence line that is not cleared.

grows all over the place here in missouri, great wood but usually has tons of limbs to deal with.

Grows like a weed around here...mostly in fencelines.

My neighbor has 100 acres. Years ago he girdled all the hedge that was/is deep in his woods. Most is still standing...dead and hard as a rock...and I have permission to cut all I want. Since they grew in the canopy most are pretty straight and have comparatively few branches compared to your fenceline variety.

lukem said:

My neighbor has 100 acres. Years ago he girdled all the hedge that was/is deep in his woods. Most is still standing...dead and hard as a rock...and I have permission to cut all I want. Since they grew in the canopy most are pretty straight and have comparatively few branches compared to your fenceline variety.

Wow...a blaze king KING, and all the osage you can cut....hmmmm. Nope...that does NOT suck. ;-P

Reactions: OldLumberKid
wood-fan-atic said:
lukem said:

Wow...a blaze king KING, and all the osage you can cut....hmmmm. Nope...that does NOT suck. ;-P

Sure doesn't suck.

lukem said:
wood-fan-atic said:
lukem said:

Sure doesn't suck.

Not hardly at all.

There are some here in Southwestern Ohio. I haven't had the pleasure of burning any though.

wood-fan-atic said:
The Holy Grail of firewood. I have never seen any here on Long Island - it seems to be more prevalent in the mid-west. Does it grow anywhere else?

I've planted about 40 in the last few years ( still have another 10 to plant this year) It does well in My soil ,which is poor at best .It and the locust seem to be doing very well here . I'm 63 ,so I won't reap the benefits of the planting , but hopefully someone will appreciate the effort on a cold January night ! :)

Lots of it around here but the big thing it takes a lot of cutting to make a cord! (I will take black locust over hedge)

wood-fan-atic said:

At least there is no shortage of black locust here. :)

I've never seen any up north in our area just that softwood called beech and sugar maple! :cheese:

Looks like we'll let the Liberty chew through a few splits tonight.

zap

Grows like weeds here too. Where about you at in IN lukem? Smokin made a good point, it is a PITA to get any amount out of it. Unless its the one growing in my FILs front yard, thing is massive.

We have it here, but I have never burned any of it. Don't know why really...just too many other types of wood to get. Will have to look around the property and see if there is a damaged one I could give a try. I try not to cut a healthy tree...

Happy Friday everyone! It's happy hour here.

Couple of words and phrases my east coast ears are not familiar with in this post.

What is meant by fencelines? Areas cut to put in fencing between properties that scrub grows back into? Otherwise why does osage grow there?

Girdling? Did I spell that right? What is that?

Anyone have a pic of osage (same as hedge?)?

Girdling is when you remove a band of bark around the tree so as to starve the roots (and kill the tree). Here is a pic of the fruit (monkey brain) and the tree.

Attachments

• Osage%20Orange_004.jpg
    Osage%20Orange_004.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 990
  • osage orange.jpg
    osage orange.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 737
wood-fan-atic said:
Girdling is when you remove a band of bark around the tree so as to starve the roots (and kill the tree).

OK, now that you say it I guess I've heard of that.

I live in southeast pa and I see hedge occasionally , but i wouldn't say it's common. Never come across any in my firewood collecting.

None around here.

Anyone have paw paw trees?

Not common in NE PA but, it is an occasional here and there type of thing.

Shawn

jatoxico said:

Couple of words and phrases my east coast ears are not familiar with in this post.

What is meant by fencelines? Areas cut to put in fencing between properties that scrub grows back into? Otherwise why does osage grow there?

Well, Hedge rows grow very thick and dense, most of the times they are impassible. Farmers used these trees commonly as divisional lines on the property border.

Any of you guys ever eat the fruit?

chvymn99 said:
jatoxico said:

Well, Hedge rows grow very thick and dense, most of the times they are impassible. Farmers used these trees commonly as divisional lines on the property border.
Yes, so thick and dense that they could keep livestock in. No fence needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.