Does Quadrafire have a massive design flaw?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scfa99

I've heard from several other quadrafire owners that have the same secondary air manifold cracks (for reference here is my previous thread https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/20294/). I've heard from 4 other Quad 7100 owners that have cracks or the metal bulging issue, I've also heard from 3 stove owners that have 2-3 year old 4300's that have this issue. There apparently is a bolt on fix coming from Quad for them as well.

So I guess the real question is how wide spread is this issue and what models are affected? I am not trying to slam Quad as they seem to be in the process of handling these issues but if this has happened after only a couple of years of burning what are the chances there are other flaws. Also owners of Quadrafire products need to be aware of this issue so they can inspect their stoves to keep an eye out for this issue.

There may be a design flaw that sounds like Quad is getting ready to deal with. Is this in every 7100 or some? Could "massive" be a bit of a stretch?

I don't know but since my thread was posted 6 other people checked their stoves and have contacted me with similar issues so it got me thinking. Luckily 7100's are not a high volume seller for Quad, but if this is also an issue with their woodstoves and its happening after only 2-3 years of use, I'd say it could be massive. Any model that has this flaw will only worsen as they are used more and more so I'd say the affected units will only go up as time wears on.

I would definatly say it is an issue, but not widespread as of right now. We put in A LOT of quad stoves, inserts, 7100, and HNG Northstars over the past years since they were introducted to the market. We have only had one effected 7100 and 5 or less inserts/stoves (can't remeber exact count). The stoves and inserts have a very simple fix kit now. The 7100 seems to be a case by case fix for right now. The steel stoves are not affected by this anymore with the new ACC model because the back area changed quite a bit, eventually all the stoves and inserts will be upgraded to the ACC design.

JTP, if I currently have a Quadrafire 7100fp that I haven't installed. I'm going to suppose that your advice for me will be to just go ahead, put install it in accordance with the manual and code and pray for the best.

Yes, it will be fine. Make sure the top baffle and insulation blanket is in correctly and all the way back. This may be contributing to the problems people are having.

Also, you PMed me about SL100 pipe. This WILL NOT fit on a 7100FP, it is too large. If your dealer is trying to sell you they have no clue what they are doing... You MUST USE either SL300 or DuraPlus pipe on a 7100, thats the only two choices.

Is anyone having trouble with the Quad 3100's. I have the automatic combustion control. I was servicing my stove just last week by replacing the ACC air gasket and the rear air gasket as well, they were a bit deformed. I also vacuumed out the secondary air tubes and did not see anything wrong. Are the stoves with the trouble cast iron?

The ACC stoves are not affected by the problem. Only the older ACT models.

Don`t know how much out-sourcing Quad does. but took a trip to Duncan today and found out that the local foundry about a block from PE`s plant does the steel. no outsourcing. Now, mind you this is not - built in the USA--but as least all this stuff is all built and assembled in Canada.

Don`t know about my Enviro built about 50 klicks away, haven`t done my homework on that plant yet. As an ex-yank, I do know that I would rather buy North American than Chinese--even if it must come from Canada ;-)

All the Quad steel work is done in Colville, WA. The castings are imported but assembled in the same plant. A few a pellet units are assembled overseas.

In my humble opinion, that secondary manifold channel across the rear wall of the stove which is currently stitch welded at 3 inch intervals should be fully welded.

Ok i'm a little lost, I've been following SCFA's last thread closely. Since I just had my 7100 installed two weeks ago, and have only burned it 2x. Both small fires for the break in fires, just one more to go!
Mine is an 07 model with the Automatic Cumbustion Control.(i'm guessing 2007 model due to the fact the metal tag inside starts with 007.)
So if my 7100 affected by the warping, cracking problem??

I hope not because I burn 24/7 and with that kind of problem the fireplace probably wont last very long.

I have a similar problem with a crack in the air manifold of a Quadra-fire 3100 I purchased 4 years ago. I contacted the dealer who is going to place a plate over the crack. While this may solve the immediate problem, whose to say another crack won't appear somwhere else in the manifold. Also, I'm concerned about the warranty - five years for labor - 10 years for "parts". I purchased this stove for the "long haul" - say, 20 years. Seems like this may be a design or production flaw. Would appreciate any comments.

woodcutter07 said:
I have a similar problem with a crack in the air manifold of a Quadra-fire 3100 I purchased 4 years ago. I contacted the dealer who is going to place a plate over the crack. While this may solve the immediate problem, whose to say another crack won't appear somwhere else in the manifold. Also, I'm concerned about the warranty - five years for labor - 10 years for "parts". I purchased this stove for the "long haul" - say, 20 years. Seems like this may be a design or production flaw. Would appreciate any comments.

I would say that the safety of this repair depends on whether the manifold are is made of cast iron or weldable steel plate? If it is cast, no plate is going to work. If it is weldable steel then that is the reasonable repair & solution.

If you have a warranty, then how to satisfy that warranty is as much your call as the dealer or manufacturer. Have them do whatever makes you comfortable.
I admit to a bias here.....I believe that businesses would like to live up to their promises but they are sometimes get a little lazy - and that consumers have a responsibility to help them keep their word.
scotty

Its steel, not cast. The fix seems like it will hold very well as it is a think stainless steel plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.