does sand work instead of fire brick

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigboltmt

Nov 11, 2008
montana
i am constructing a outdoor wood boiler around the fire box i originally was going to use fire brick but think sand would do a better job plus sounds easier to install for my situation does anybody know if heating sand to my firebox temps cause problems or if there is a certain sand for this application or something like sand that is for high temp applications thanks for input

we usually add a few inches in the bottom of new barrel stoves to help save the bottoms , works good and no special kind needed. hasn't turned to glass yet

thanks for the input i figured it would work should be a lot easier than trying to place firebrick around my odd shaped firebox plus sand fills the area better than brick

I put sand between my 500 gal storage tank and an insulated box I built around the tank. Sand is still drying but I think it will help retain the heat once dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.