Does serial number help determine Vigilant's manufacturing date?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't worry about the mfg. date. They were only made for about 10? years. Focus on the condition of the stove. Look for any cracks inside and out. Look at the bypass mechanism for sloppy action and expect to have to do a really good cleaning of the secondary system no matter what condition. Blowing it out with compressed air often helps. (do this outside only and with a mask).

I wouldn't worry about the mfg. date. They were only made for about 10? years. Focus on the condition of the stove. Look for any cracks inside and out. Look at the bypass mechanism for sloppy action and expect to have to do a really good cleaning of the secondary system no matter what condition. Blowing it out with compressed air often helps. (do this outside only and with a mask).
Thanks! I don't know what the "bypass mechanism" looks like or what the "secondary system" is, I'm afraid. We've just loaded up our stove and burned wood in it for 32 years! My husband is pretty handy, though. Can you give us more detail re what and where to look?

The bypass mechanism is the lever on the side that you engage once the stove is burning well so that the flue gases get reburned in the secondary burn section of the stove. Have you been running the stove without engagin the bypass?

Did you get my response? I'm not used to this process and thought I'd sent one via email . . . I believe we've been using the bypass. We just didn't know it! We load up the stove with wood and ignite it with the handle "up," and then wait til the flue temp reaches 300 degrees before putting the handle "down." That's how we were instructed to use the stove 32 years ago! We have never done anything with the "secondary system." What/where is that?
Thanks loads for your help! How about some advice re whether or not we should replace our old Vigilant with another one, as long as it looks to be in good condition? We love our Vigilant, but are open to suggestions . . .
Libby

V.C. dated each of the castings, so if you cleanoff the inside of the door for example, it should be dated! For example: 4/10/83 orwhatever it is willappear somewhere on most of the cast pieces. Not sure why that'll help, but there you are!

Since you asked, try to find yourself a VIGLANT 1C manufactured from 7/82 thru 7/84. These have the 2 piece fireback, longer doors, and don't have the stupid wrap-around front. CHECK THE BOTTOM CAREFULLY as they are prone to cracking and no longer made!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.