Does splitter engine on same side as operator station matter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Intheswamp

Jun 25, 2010
South Central Alabama
I'm toying with the idea of buying a splitter. The Huskee 22-ton unit has the engine on the same side as the operator station whereas most other splitters (including larger Huskees) have it on the side opposite the operator.

Anybody got any feedback on whether the engine orientation matters to the operator?

Thanks,
Ed

I bought 2 Huskee 28 ton splitters last year. First one had engine on the same side, second one they changed it. I would rather have the engine on the same side if I could choose. Exhaust runs out the opposite side and away from you when the engine is on the operator side. Also feel it is less likely to have a big log fall toward you and hit the engine as opposed to away from you. I believe they changed the position to get the fuel tank further from the logs.

If you split vertically, it makes no difference.

On the 28 ton, vertically is where it caused the greatest problem for me. It blew directly into your face! I contacted Husky/Speeco and they sent me a diverter, which has resolved that issue. Without that the engine exhaust would have you dizzy in 10 minutes.

Backwoods Savage said:
If you split vertically, it makes no difference.

Another post that just walked into that one. :lol:

For Horizontal:
I like the engine controls close so I don't have to walk around or reach over.
I can set to idle while I round up some rounds, (specially on cold days & want to keep the oils warm)
I like to push the spits away from me, so if the engine were there, I'd have a chance of denting it.
More control of the splits if I'm standing there.

For Vert. BWS (aka Dennis) says it all
Another good reason to only split Vertically :lol:

I don't think it matters much. I have my old Wisconsin on my side and it doesn't hurt or help really.

On my old (unknown name) splitter; I find the engine weight throws off the balance a bit. So, when wrestling the thing around a hill, it tends to get tippy toward the engine side. Which I seem to remember is opposite of the operator control.
In use; it can also tend to tip toward the engine when wrestling a large, stuck round off the wedge.

Just something to keep in mind when looking.

I only split vertical.

I'm with you. I hate the exhaust. Seems to me - it matters which way the wind is blowing. I try to sit up wind - but I still smell like exhaust and I am sick from exhaust by a days end. I was thinking of a painters mask? It's unlike other power equipment - like a mower - because you are moving. With a splitter - you're right there by the engine exhaust all day.

Nice to keep warm - but stinks.

It doesn't matter much to me personally which side it is on . . . as long as it is more or less out of the way in case any errant splits come crashing down on top of it.

Searching my memory, I think virtualyl all splitters today have the engine far enough back from the wedge that the risk of an errand large split hitting the engine is virtually nil.

I'd rather it was mounted in such a way as to blow the exhaust 180 degrees away from the operator position, so its really dependant on what engine is used. The huskee 22 ton unit I borrowed last fall had the engine near the operator, but the exhaust was pointed towards the hitch, so no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.