Does the chimney brand make a difference?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pascale

Sep 27, 2012
Hello,

I have the choice to buy from two local dealers, they're pretty much the same price, convenience etc.

One uses Simpson DuraVent while the other installs Security Chimneys International.

The guy that installs Duravent claims that the warranty is better on HIS chimneys, that the insulation is "rolled not blowed" (don't have the slightest idea what that means) etc etc.

Do you have an opinion regarding this matter?

Thanks!

Pascale

Reactions: suprz
I am not total up on this stuff but some installers after installing the stainless steel liner pour loose insulation down and around the pipe and fill up the remaining space all the way up to the top then put a cap over it. That might be the blown in he referred too.

The rolled he referred to is they wrap the pipe with insulation all the way around it and seal it shut. Then drop the pipe down the chimney.

Thats what I am thinking I could be wrong.

All class A chimney has to be tested to the same standard, UL-103HT. That's in the US, Canadian standards are tougher.

All things being equal, I'd probably flip a coin.

I'm a bit biased toward DuraVent of the two, mostly because of the broad product line solutions and the ease of locating parts both locally and online. But I have nothing against Security. It's just that out here one most frequently sees DuraVent and Selkirk and ICC Excel.

Reactions: ScotO
I know that some manufacturers use different gauges of metal on the OUTER casing of class A, to cut costs and make a "cheaper" product. But as BeGreen stated, they are all tested to the same standard so the inner pipe should all be the same. The thinner outer pipe is more prone to dings/dents, so keep that in mind when buying. Not sure if a hailstorm or other mishap would be more likely to dent the thinner walled stuff or not.....just my take on things. I'd buy the stuff with the heavier outer wall. After all, my handle is OVERKILL.....:p

I got Selkirk. Cheapest (least expensive) stuff I could find. As mentioned, it's all built to a standard. Some may exceed the standard, but I expect this to last long enough.
2 of the pieces had minor dents, but how many people are going to be scrutinizing my Class A out the roof for that? I'll tell 'em to STHU, or go home.
begreen makes a good point about product line solutions and availability. Use the one that gets you what you need.
I'm a function over form kind of person....most of the time. This is one of those times.

Thanks guys, I'll probably go with Duravent
That's what I have in BOTH of my flues. The one on the stove in the kitchen has been in use for over 5 years, without a single issue. The one in the living room will be up and running in a month or so.......

I chose the Simpson Duravent. It just looked like a superior product, and the reviews were a bit better.

Reactions: ScotO
Status
Not open for further replies.