1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Does the final surround material need to be in place before a pellet insert is installed?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by titikiki, Jun 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titikiki

titikiki New Member

Loc:
    Calverton, NY
    To save money, my husband will be removing the old inefficient wood burning metal insert and building the frame that will surround the pellet insert. I am thinking of having a hearth built also. I was told by the installer that only the framework needs to be done prior to their installation and afterwards the stone can be placed on the surround/hearth. Is this correct? Any sites you would recommend to try for ideas/plans to help decide spec's/design? Thanks

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jtp10181

jtp10181 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Madison, WI
    Could depends on the model of insert you are getting. There are a lot of different ways the ones we sell could be installed so I think that would work. Make sure the model you are getting can be installed as a "built in" unit. I assume you are ripping the old fireplace out so you can get a larger insert?
  3. titikiki

titikiki New Member

Loc:
    Calverton, NY
    My husband will be taking the old insert out and framing out for the insert. Here on Long Island I was quoted for the Quadrafire Classic Bay 1200 $3700 for the unit, $499 for the install and that is only for venting straight out which I read on this site is not recommended. My sister lives in upstate - Binghamton, NY - and the same unit goes for $2729 (MSRP). The Quadrafire Mt Vernon I was quoted $4724 with $550 install (hadn't checked price off Long Island yet but MSRP $3410). Why is everything so overpriced on LI?? I am not sure if it is safe installing it himself since he has never done it before, and what if we need it serviced?? Would appreciate any advice!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.