Does the final surround material need to be in place before a pellet insert is installed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

titikiki

Jun 21, 2008
Calverton, NY
To save money, my husband will be removing the old inefficient wood burning metal insert and building the frame that will surround the pellet insert. I am thinking of having a hearth built also. I was told by the installer that only the framework needs to be done prior to their installation and afterwards the stone can be placed on the surround/hearth. Is this correct? Any sites you would recommend to try for ideas/plans to help decide spec's/design? Thanks

Could depends on the model of insert you are getting. There are a lot of different ways the ones we sell could be installed so I think that would work. Make sure the model you are getting can be installed as a "built in" unit. I assume you are ripping the old fireplace out so you can get a larger insert?

My husband will be taking the old insert out and framing out for the insert. Here on Long Island I was quoted for the Quadrafire Classic Bay 1200 $3700 for the unit, $499 for the install and that is only for venting straight out which I read on this site is not recommended. My sister lives in upstate - Binghamton, NY - and the same unit goes for $2729 (MSRP). The Quadrafire Mt Vernon I was quoted $4724 with $550 install (hadn't checked price off Long Island yet but MSRP $3410). Why is everything so overpriced on LI?? I am not sure if it is safe installing it himself since he has never done it before, and what if we need it serviced?? Would appreciate any advice!!

Status
Not open for further replies.