Does the type of gas matter for log splitters?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spikem

Feeling the Heat
Nov 2, 2008
Middleboro, MA, USA
Just bought a log splitter and am wondering if it matters what type of gas (unleaded? plus? premium?) I put into it.

Yes, make sure its new and not old, other then that the less ethanol the better. That being said I run plain unleaded in mine.

I run 87 octane in mine. I only buy gas without ethanol-as long as I can find it. A few stations here sell it. If you can find a station that sells pure gas, that would be the best.

ordinary gas.........same as what you put in your lawn mower

-Soupy1957

Regular fresh gas, good fuel stabilizer for E10 gas.

Whenever I buy gas for splitter, mower, saw, etc, I always add stabilizer and if in winter, I always add some dry gas too. I use regular gas. I have used some with ethanol (10%) but usually don't.

Last week we empty ed the gas out of two saws to Finnish splitting, we left with under 2 oz's of fuel. Cutting it close!

Backwoods Savage said:
Whenever I buy gas for splitter, mower, saw, etc, I always add stabilizer and if in winter, I always add some dry gas too. I use regular gas. I have used some with ethanol (10%) but usually don't.

If you are getting any with ethanol, then I would suggest NOT adding any more alcohol. Around here we have no choice about ethanol. It just gets crammed down our fill pipes. So I always use Stabil & I also buy premium. The eth crap breaks down & loses octane so I figure I better start with the hi-test.
Al

Thanks for the tip Al. I've actually only bought one tank full of the stuff and that was quite some time ago.

gfreek said:
Regular fresh gas, good fuel stabilizer for E10 gas.

+1 . . . I tend to use the StarTron.

Status
Not open for further replies.