1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Does this happen everywhere?

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by jeff_t, Jan 22, 2013.

1. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    'Tis a little chilly, but really? Almost 100 school closings around metro Detroit. Looks like over half are private/parochial schools. I seem to remember mom just putting more clothes on us. And it ain't even cold, was -3 here.

http://www.wxyz.com/subindex/weather/school_closings

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    Never seen it happen here. That's cold for us, but not unheard of.
  3. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    Maybe because they didn't invent wind chill factors when we were kids. Somehow, we just knew the wind made it feel colder and we had to dress warmer.
  4. Badfish740

Badfish740 Minister of Fire

When I was in grade school (NJ) we had school cancelled for two days because the fuel vendor who was selling to the regional bus company (served like half the county) apparently wasn't selling a winter blend of diesel. This worked fine until we had low teen/single digit temps for about a week and all of the busses were hopelessly gelled up. Other than that, never had school cancelled on account of cold.
  5. yooperdave

yooperdave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan's U.P.
    The last two days (Mon, Tue) were cancelled because of the cold. Wind chills of -40f and worse. Although the temps ranged from -15f to -32f, I suppose that maybe the schools decided to keep the kids away from the outside while waiting for the bus?? Anyway, the last few winters presented no opportunities to call snow days which every district plans for around here...so maybe thats why they cancelled them down south, too???

I sure do remember going to school in a lot worse weather than this also.
  6. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    We had two hour delays a few times for extreme cold. Never cancelled tho.
  7. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Never canceled due to the cold . . . just meant an indoor recess so that one kid who accepted every dare wouldn't be tempted to stick his tongue on the metal chain of the swing set. :)
    tfdchief likes this.
  8. eclecticcottage

eclecticcottage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WNY
    I do recall it a few times over the past years, not while growing up though. Buses were running today though, I dont' think any got cancelled in this area.
  9. fishingpol

fishingpol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    Come on people. We lived through it.

[​IMG]
  10. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    I can't put my arms down!
    fishingpol likes this.
  11. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Definitely they are whimps today. Closing for cold? Crazy. We sometimes even see them closing when just a few inches of snow falls. Crazy. Whimps.
  12. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    Well, we did ride up in the back window of the car, back in the day. Maybe they are onto something.
  13. granpajohn

granpajohn Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Maryland
    and furthermore, the girls wore those little plaid jumpers.
    [​IMG]

Tough chicks.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  14. stoveguy2esw

stoveguy2esw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    madison hgts. va
    times were tough when we were growing up i guess, if the roads were clear you got on da bus, nowadays it seems like if a snowflake is "predicted' to hit our county schools close and everyone runs out and buys bread, milk and other perishable items in case the power goes out, bet the landfill guys get a chuckle a few weeks later at the moldy bread (unopened) and all the milk cartons.

i gotta say this, the mentality of folks these days is simply stupid (i want to use the "r" word but i save that for the can) if you fear a power outage , just why the hello do you buy PERISHABLE stuff? get some SPAM for petes sake, buy something you can use during an outage but something that will stay on your cupboard shelf if you dont use it! it simply makes me want to scream at people, get a loaf or two of bread, if you do not have milk buy a gallon, buy some bottled water if you have a well, but GEEZ people, think!!
    LEES WOOD-CO likes this.
  15. billb3

billb3 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Mass
    when they cancelled here because of the cold either the boilers couldn't keep up with the heat loss and maintain a decent temperature in all the rooms or they couldn't afford to.
  16. Mrs. Krabappel

Mrs. Krabappel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Blue Ridge Mountains NC
    We sometimes drop in the single digits and don't cancel school, but I worry about the numerous children who don't own a good coat, hat, or gloves and who wait outside for the bus.
    LEES WOOD-CO likes this.
  17. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    As I head out for work, shivering in a soon to be defrosting, chilly truck, I see kids waiting for the bus in 30 deg weather with just shorts and a light jacket on. Makes me cold all over again. And these kids have perfectly good cold weather gear at home.
    tfdchief likes this.
  18. nate379

nate379 Guest

As long as it's warmer than -10* the kids still go out to play for recess at the two schools my friend's kids are at. I'd imagine similar policy for the other schools as well.
  19. granpajohn

granpajohn Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Maryland
    I wanna modify my comment.
    Schools didn't close when I was a kid, but...

...in January 1994 we had one of our coldest winters, and State offices (non-essential) were closed and that included schools and the domino effect that it causes. I remember driving in to work in Baltimore City and traffic was very light. It was about -5F that morning. Natural gas ran short in PG County, and Red Cross opened shelters for those without heat. One especially was a senior citizen apartment complex. It was hard on those folks.

Of course, the kids were still playing outside. Most of them just don't get cold easily.
  20. tfdchief

tfdchief Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    Yes, things have changed. When I was a kid, they didn't plow the streets in our town. Now there is a fleet of trucks and a private feet that does parking lots. If the streets and parking lots aren't bare by work in the morning people don't know what to do. Some even call city hall to complain. We have become a spoiled population, IMO. On that rare occasion when they canceled school when I was young, we went home, grabbed our snow shovels, and went out to make some money ;)
    Backwoods Savage and PapaDave like this.
  21. amateur cutter

amateur cutter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Michigan
    I don't ever remember school being cancelled for cold. Snow & drifting yes, but not cold. Of course we didn't wear flip flops & shorts in winter then either. As to the people that don't know what to do when the parking lot or street isn't bare pavement, well I'd say move south. A C
    tfdchief and Backwoods Savage like this.
  22. tfdchief

tfdchief Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    I have to agree AC, but they don't, they just gripe::-)
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  23. Hearth Mistress

Hearth Mistress Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pt Pleasant, PA (SE PA)
    I only remember school being closed because the heaters were broken.

This is why I stay out of Detroit in the winter, granted it's cold here too but THAT cold seemed to go right through me! Then I usually get stuck due to storms there or in Philly. Now, the folks I work with out there know they won't see me until April, at the earliest ;)
  24. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    Just about every snow day (or cancellation due to temps) in jr high and high school meant that we packed into a truck with our gear and went skiing. Drove right by the closed schools on the way. Now it means that I can split and stack wood. Sometimes I think I live a couple of thousand miles too far south. The heat, though? Forget that crap, I become worthless around 90F.
  25. tbuff

tbuff Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central NJ
    Unless we had frozen heating coils breaking all over the school, we wouldn't cancel due to cold.