Does This Install Meet Code???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

welshcob

Sep 30, 2008
Capital District, NY
Last week the dealer installed my new Quad Santa Fe. I asked the installers about the best location for the stove and pointed out potential problems. They phoned home and came back to say that my preferred location (SW corner of the living room) would be fine. This required a new hole in the wall for a horizontal vent - it ended up 4 1/2 feet from the window but right next to the electrical outlet inside, and about 1 foot from the electric meter outside. They angled the vent away from the meter, but to my mind it's not far enough away either horizontally or vertically. I need to get the building inspector out, been holding off trying to get my deck finished so he can look at that and the stove at the same time.

Bottom line, the window is not a problem but proximity to the electric meter could be. Should I get the inspector out asap so I can start the haggling process with the installer?

I got lucky and found the stove (in September), and found three tons of pellets........and now I'm afraid my luck is running out.

should be ok I would suspect................. Gas meter no, electric yes. though I would go up a bit after going out......... The meter reader will thank you
it's possible that this could fall into the "public walkway" text for venting, which means you have to vent 7' above grade, but not sure........ ask your inspector he shouldn't have to come out...

Thanks, that's encouraging. The inspector will have to come out at some point, since my town requires a building permit for a pellet stove install. Last I knew my electric meter reader used a pair of binoculars so he could read the meter from his truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.