Does this look legit to all you seasoned pros?????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

turtletrucker

Sep 19, 2008
mi
Brand new to this forum and to the woody lifestyle. Been reading all the great info on here and has been a great help to me. Following is a pic of my install triple wall offset which is two 15's(maybe 30's not sure , you tell me) I connected together so I could get around roof joists. Question is, IS IT LEGAL according to guidelines? Did the install myself and chimney goes straight up except for this jog. Everything I read in install literature(U.S. Install guide put out by Selkirk) on off sets leads me to believe this is fine. But have also read that you cannot connect two offsets at all. What is right? I have awesome draft. am above every peak on house, great clearances on all chimney and pipe work, but this is causing me to lose sleep not knowing. I could have put a section of 12" triple in between the offsets, but used it for chimney rise instead. Kinda too late now, since that would put me out the roof in a different location. Please look and tell I'm O K. The offset does'nt fall into any catagories requiring a straight section in my install lit. The offset is about 3 1/2 inches on chimney center line and 10 inches of rise. I can see all the way to the cap form bottom. By the way I'm running a 3 yr old Quad 3100 Millenium, 6 ft approx. of single wall to 48" of triple(through a cathedral box) then the offset then another 11 ft triple straight to the cap. Works awesome so far with test fires and drafts like crazy. Thanks ahead of time for any input, hope I gave enough info. By the way you Quad owners here are the reason I bought this, talked me right into it by just your postings. I did all my research here before I bought. I was going to look at the Quad and found this site 2 days before(good thing since it was an hour and a half from home). NO REGRETS thusfar. Got an awesome deal> Got everything mentioned above plus prefab hearth and fireplace tools for $900. I think I stole it!!!!!!!

Attachments

• chimney.bmp
    56.3 KB · Views: 543
turtletrucker said:
Brand new to this forum and to the woody lifestyle. Been reading all the great info on here and has been a great help to me. Following is a pic of my install triple wall offset which is two 15's(maybe 30's not sure , you tell me) I connected together so I could get around roof joists. Question is, IS IT LEGAL according to guidelines? Did the install myself and chimney goes straight up except for this jog. Everything I read in install literature(U.S. Install guide put out by Selkirk) on off sets leads me to believe this is fine. But have also read that you cannot connect two offsets at all. What is right? I have awesome draft. am above every peak on house, great clearances on all chimney and pipe work, but this is causing me to lose sleep not knowing. I could have put a section of 12" triple in between the offsets, but used it for chimney rise instead. Kinda too late now, since that would put me out the roof in a different location. Please look and tell I'm O K. The offset does'nt fall into any catagories requiring a straight section in my install lit. The offset is about 3 1/2 inches on chimney center line and 10 inches of rise. I can see all the way to the cap form bottom. By the way I'm running a 3 yr old Quad 3100 Millenium, 6 ft approx. of single wall to 48" of triple(through a cathedral box) then the offset then another 11 ft triple straight to the cap. Works awesome so far with test fires and drafts like crazy. Thanks ahead of time for any input, hope I gave enough info. By the way you Quad owners here are the reason I bought this, talked me right into it by just your postings. I did all my research here before I bought. I was going to look at the Quad and found this site 2 days before(good thing since it was an hour and a half from home). NO REGRETS thusfar. Got an awesome deal> Got everything mentioned above plus prefab hearth and fireplace tools for $900. I think I stole it!!!!!!!

I'm not any sort of pro but I think your off-set is just fine. Strait is better and you was still able to maintain line of site to the top. That is about as good as it gets when you have to avoid roof objects.

There may be some questions about clearance to the 2x4. Then again it may just be trick with the photo that makes the pipe and 2x4 look close. In any case what ever the pipe manual states for needed clearance always trumps whatever I think.

As long as the clearances to combustibles are satisfied, you are ok with the offset. This is why they are available in 15 and 30 deg. elbows.

The 2x4s are actually 12 plus inches away, but they do look close in the pic. Pics add 20 lbs dont they? :)

Jags said:
...ignore me. :cheese:

That's what I do. %-P

turtletrucker, you used all chimney components from the same manufactuer's line of products, you assembled them in accordance with the manufactuer's instructions, and you observed the required clearances from combustibles. A pro couldn't have done it any better than that. Nice job! Wrap it up. Welcome to the forum! Rick

I think its sexy ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.