Does this look normal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bluey

Jul 16, 2022
Southern Illinois
After the first season of running this hand-me-down insert, I just took the surround off and noticed some, what appears to be, creosote on the outside of the liner. The liner is a forever flex with pre-wrapped insulation that was installed new last year. Does this look like normal wear to you? If not, I am wondering if it was poorly installed?
80311E53-5565-4112-B6E7-F7C108B54B48.jpeg

It looks like they never removed the tape they put on for shipping. Not a big deal

Is that all that is? That makes me feel better. Thanks!
Certainly what it looks like I would get as much of it off as possible and not worry

Is it just me but it looks like it's reduced from 8 inch to 6 inch.

Is that why it looks like it gets smaller at the bottom? I was wondering the same as supersurvey
Yeah there is an outer liner covering the insulation

Wonder how effective that insulation is, since it seems to have burned/melted/vaporized the aluminum tape on the outer liner, and it seems to have that same yellow/straw gold tempering heat color as the inner liner???

Wonder how effective that insulation is, since it seems to have burned/melted/vaporized the aluminum tape on the outer liner, and it seems to have that same yellow/straw gold tempering heat color as the inner liner???
That wast aluminum tape it was plain old duct tape. It is effective enough to prevent heat transfer through the masonry to a point it is dangerous. It is also effective at helping to keep internal temps up much better than a bare liner

I wouldn’t expect to melt duct tape like that on the outside of regular rigid class A pipe.

Ah - I see now. Maybe that aluminum is backing on the insulation? I was seeing it as being aluminized tape wrapped several times and tapering off to the bottom. Would make more sense if it was plain 'ol duct tape. (well, at least more sense in the way it burned up... not more sense in leaving it there!)

I wouldn’t expect to melt duct tape like that on the outside of regular rigid class A pipe.
No but class a has twice the insulation because it isn't meant to go inside a chimney

Ah - I see now. Maybe that aluminum is backing on the insulation? I was seeing it as being aluminized tape wrapped several times and tapering off to the bottom. Would make more sense if it was plain 'ol duct tape. (well, at least more sense in the way it burned up... not more sense in leaving it there!)
It looks to me like they wrapped aluminum around to cover the insulation.

I know Olympia ships their liners with duct tape of different colors around the cut ends to protect from the sharp edges and to identify the alloy etc. Different colors tell you what it is

I don't think the heat necessarily goes through the insulation; the tape and alu foil create a closed air pocket (triangular annulus) below the wider end of the outer liner. As there is only single wall between that air pocket and the hot (near the insert) exhaust, there will be a lot of heat in that air pocket, thus heating the metal of the outer liner, and melting the duct tape.