Does this make sense for kindling woodstoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've developed a hand-held, battery powered blower that gets campfires and wood-burning fireplaces blazing in about two minutes. I'm wondering if a tool of this kind would be of any interest for faster kindling of wood stoves. Any thoughts? We've just started a crowd funding campaign to manufacture it in America, but we need some advice on whether it would appeal to folks who burn wood or pellets in their stoves. If you want to see it in action (only if you feel like it) you can look at either our website (www.fiair.net) or our crowd funding site (www.indiegogo.com/fiair) Thanks for any opinions you can offer.

Haven't read all the posts here, but if it is forcing more air than the chimney is drawing naturally, then might not the exhaust gas/smoke will go somewhere other than the chimney? Should test that part out.

As the engineers might say "The goesinta should match the goesoutta"

I would be concerned with blowing ash out of the stove and into my family room. I'm a pig to begin with, I don't need help making a mess. That being said, I do hope things work out for you.

I would be concerned with blowing ash out of the stove and into my family room. I'm a pig to begin with, I don't need help making a mess. That being said, I do hope things work out for you.
Might be a great tool to sweep it all under the carpet.

Might be handy for soldering fumes.

Haven't read all the posts here, but if it is forcing more air than the chimney is drawing naturally, then might not the exhaust gas/smoke will go somewhere other than the chimney? Should test that part out.

Hola Adios! This is EXACTLY the kind of feedback we need. We will certainly check this out. I'm gathering that optimum use of FiAir with a wood stove may differ from other indoor uses, (fireplaces, kivas, etc.) Maybe its best use with a wood stove would be refreshing a smoldering fire, or one with just a few embers left from the night before. Kindling fresh fires would involve testing out its use at different distances from the kindling (you can pinpoint airflow from about 2 ft away.) In any case, thank you. You've given us much to think about!

Alan

Reactions: Adios Pantalones

FiAir could be a "pig's best friend!" We've actually used it to blow hearth ashes back into the grate. Again, we haven't found it to make any messes or blow more ash or sparks into the room from the fireplace than happens naturally with an open fire. But a wood stove may be a different animal. Enough of you are raising this concern that we will certainly be looking into it.

Thanks, Jack.

Might be a great tool to sweep it all under the carpet.

Might be handy for soldering fumes.

Funny you should say that, Bill. We have been collecting suggestions for additional uses for FIAir. A few samples: Blowing dew off grape leaves to prevent mold, blowing bugs away from your food, clearing crumbs off the picnic table, sweeping wood or metal shavings away from projects, fanning your face at the grill, etc. Now we'll add clearing away soldering fumes! If you've got others, bring 'em on!

Alan

This is one of those things that I probably wouldn't go out and buy, but if I had one I would use every so often. I'd market it as a great gift for dads or whatever. Better than a neck tie.

This is one of those things that I probably wouldn't go out and buy, but if I had one I would use every so often. I'd market it as a great gift for dads or whatever. Better than a neck tie.

You betcha, Brian! We're on the same page. In fact, we're shooting to make FiAir the 2013 Father's Day Gift of the Year. Thank you for your input.

Alan

1. You should be able to use FIAir with a wood stove door cracked just an inch or so to refresh a smoldering fire. The beauty of FiAir is that you don't have to stick your hand into the chamber. The airflow is strong enough that it should keep the smoke drafting away from the room. But we will be eager to test this.

A woodstove with any heat left in it is most likely going to still have enough chimney draft to excite active coals by cracking the door. I have never been tempted to stick my head near the door opening on my stove for any purpose.

Along the lines of AP's post, if the chimney is keeping up with the little blower's output, then the blower probably isn't necessary to begin with. ;)

Alan, In your trailer video we can all hear the wood hissing on that open fire. Unseasoned (or wood that is partially seasoned) wood is probably the cause of 75% the problems new stove owners face in building a fire. I see you've done some research here already but stick around and we'll have you setting off bonfires with a Bic in no time. >>

A woodstove with any heat left in it is most likely going to still have enough chimney draft to excite active coals by cracking the door. I have never been tempted to stick my head near the door opening on my stove for any purpose.

Along the lines of AP's post, if the chimney is keeping up with the little blower's output, then the blower probably isn't necessary to begin with. ;)

Alan, In your trailer video we can all hear the wood hissing on that open fire. Unseasoned (or wood that is partially seasoned) wood is probably the cause of 75% the problems new stove owners face in building a fire. I see you've done some research here already but stick around and we'll have you setting off bonfires with a Bic in no time. >>

Thanks, MM. We're learning more each day, thanks to you guys.

Alan

patents pending, post it on an internet forum, someone over in China is already mass producing these to flood the market before Christmas at....................
$9.99 and wait if you order now we'll send you another one for a small processing fee....................

actually been there done that good luck with it, I can see the casual burner using it out side for a fire pit but serious wood burners probably not

patents pending, post it on an internet forum, someone over in China is already mass producing these to flood the market before Christmas at....................
$9.99 and wait if you order now we'll send you another one for a small processing fee....................

actually been there done that good luck with it, I can see the casual burner using it out side for a fire pit but serious wood burners probably not

Yep -- we're uncomfortably aware of that possibility. But I've come too far to quit now! Hey, even if we get a couple percent of the casual grill or firepit burner market, I'll be thrilled... Thanks, Iron Pony -- what was your "been there done that" product, if you don't mind sharing the war story.

Status
Not open for further replies.