Does this picture show a leak? Napoleon 1402

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Squiner

Hearth Supporter
Aug 22, 2008
Maryland
Does this look like a bad weld in my 1402 insert? The picture is above the baffle on the right hand side towards the front of the insert. To give some perspective, the clean spot is about 3/4" long.

The reason I started to look for a leak is because I did my first full load of wood a couple days ago and I couldn't keep the reigns on the temps. I got up to about 750 on the center top plate while the primary air was fully closed. I have never had it that hot before.

IMG_2748.jpg

Yes, a small leak but since it is above the firebox any leak here will make no difference since the secnodary air supply is flooding the area with all the oxygen that it needs to burn.

The leaks that cause uncontrollable temps are going to be lower in the firebox and will usually be visible as jets of flame in the oxygen starved area of the fire.

I cleaned up the spot a bit and it's right after a weld on the interior. Is that strange that the weld stops after about the first 5 inches of the firebox?

IMG_2756.jpg

Highbeam said:
Yes, a small leak but since it is above the firebox any leak here will make no difference since the secnodary air supply is flooding the area with all the oxygen that it needs to burn.

The leaks that cause uncontrollable temps are going to be lower in the firebox and will usually be visible as jets of flame in the oxygen starved area of the fire.

So are you saying that its not that much of a concern? Should I be contacting Napoleon to have them fix it?

Can I continue to burn?

Thanks,
Worried burner

The fact that you couldnt cotrol the burn, and it was a first for your set up, is a concern. But the leak your showing seems minor, unless the picture is not reflecting it well? Are you sure there are no other leaks???

PINEBURNER said:
The fact that you couldnt cotrol the burn, and it was a first for your set up, is a concern. But the leak your showing seems minor, unless the picture is not reflecting it well? Are you sure there are no other leaks???

When you say my first set up are you saying my first time burning? I have put about a half a cord through so far. Just that I have never really packed the firebox to get the maximum burn time.

I just checked the entire interior of the stove. The only other spot was in the exact same spot on the other side of the stove, but it was about half the size of the first one I found.

Hey Squin, same stove here. I had a bit of a problem controling the fire the first few times I loaded up the box. I got up to around 750 also. I have a really tall chimney, about 35 ft.,,,which means my draft is really strong. I have to start turning down the air when the stove temp reaches about 450. I close it down in stages until I can get the air almost closed. Since I learned how to do this, I have never had a problem with the stove gettin away from me. The stove cruises really nice around 550 for me. I shut the air down all the way for the night time burn. Actually, a few nights ago,,I couldnt believe I got a 10 plus hour burn out of the stove. That was the first time that happened for me. Also, as stated many times, what is the quality of your fuel and what are ya using? I can definately see the stove taking off if it is filled up with pallets or dimensional lumber. The stove likes to run on the hot side,,but thats a good thing. As far as the weld, doesnt look that bad in the picture, I dont know if your stove is still under warranty, but I would definately contact the dealer and see what they can do for you. Hopefully you bought it from a reputable dealer. Good luck...

Joey said:
Hey Squin, same stove here. I had a bit of a problem controling the fire the first few times I loaded up the box. I got up to around 750 also. I have a really tall chimney, about 35 ft.,,,which means my draft is really strong. I have to start turning down the air when the stove temp reaches about 450. I close it down in stages until I can get the air almost closed. Since I learned how to do this, I have never had a problem with the stove gettin away from me. The stove cruises really nice around 550 for me. I shut the air down all the way for the night time burn. Actually, a few nights ago,,I couldnt believe I got a 10 plus hour burn out of the stove. That was the first time that happened for me. Also, as stated many times, what is the quality of your fuel and what are ya using? I can definately see the stove taking off if it is filled up with pallets or dimensional lumber. The stove likes to run on the hot side,,but thats a good thing. As far as the weld, doesnt look that bad in the picture, I dont know if your stove is still under warranty, but I would definately contact the dealer and see what they can do for you. Hopefully you bought it from a reputable dealer. Good luck...

I think that I may have closed down too late, around 525-550 maybe. I only have about a 12' chimney!

I have been burning quite dry pine mixed in with decent hardwood (25%).

I bought the stove from chimneylinerdepot.com in Aug. I really don't know what the warranty was, I'll check in to it.

From the sounds of it, I can probably continue to burn?

Thanks for everyones help

You have burned a little bit more wood than me so far this year, but the inside of your firebox looks pretty bad for only half a cord, it looks like it hasn't been getting hot enough to burn all the crusty junk off?

It sounds to me like you waited to long to turn down the air as well, once those secondary's kick on it will raise the temp quite a bit with a full load.

Keep an eye on it and try turning it down sooner, but you should be fine to continue burning.

mellow said:
You have burned a little bit more wood than me so far this year, but the inside of your firebox looks pretty bad for only half a cord, it looks like it hasn't been getting hot enough to burn all the crusty junk off?

It sounds to me like you waited to long to turn down the air as well, once those secondary's kick on it will raise the temp quite a bit with a full load.

Keep an eye on it and try turning it down sooner, but you should be fine to continue burning.

It's kind of strance becasue I think I am burning it hot, maybe not. I was suppried how much built up crud there was when I was scraping up there. About an 1/8" soild with fluf on top of it.

I will work on turning it down sooner now that I will be having more full loads.

Thanks

Squiner I suppose it wouldn't hurt to patch those holes up with some refractory cement. It's pre mixed like a putty...if it were me I'd wire wheel some holes first and patch the other 'as is'. Hey what do you have to lose?...it's a 5 minute job.

savageactor7 said:
Squiner I suppose it wouldn't hurt to patch those holes up with some refractory cement. It's pre mixed like a putty...if it were me I'd wire wheel some holes first and patch the other 'as is'. Hey what do you have to lose?...it's a 5 minute job.

Is that the cement used in cast stoves? That's not a bad idea. I have an email into Napoleon, so I will wait to hear back from them before I do anything.

Truthfully I dunno Squiner... I used it this fall instead of replacing bricks and noticed last week it was still sticking to those metal bumper guards that hold fast the refractory bricks. Back in the bronze age I'd put in a self tapping screws to plug up a stove hole figuring I could eyeball its effectiveness. Stoves being freestanding and all like where they going, you have eyes on all the time. Now you with an insert...who knows what's behind there and how up to code it is. If it were me I'd just plug 'em up asap. You, me and we that plays with fire have to be right all the time...fire only has to be right once.

4018449733_953b211760.jpg

cement still on the metal.

I think that I may have closed down too late, around 525-550 maybe. I only have about a 12' chimney!

I have been burning quite dry pine mixed in with decent hardwood (25%).

I bought the stove from chimneylinerdepot.com in Aug. I really don't know what the warranty was, I'll check in to it.

From the sounds of it, I can probably continue to burn?

Thanks for everyones help

That 25% of dry pine you use will burn hotter than hardwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.