Does This Pile Justify Buying a Splitter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I too am an old guy with back issues. That looks like a load of ash you've got there? Pretty easy splitting, yes? Why not just split by hand? I've done it for a long time and it's my favorite (and only) exercise. I split about six cords of white and black oak this summer, all with maul and wedge. Anything that's too gnarly gets set aside for the fire pit. Don't sell yourself short and don't deprive yourself of one of the greatest pleasures offered by the woodburning lifestyle. Swinging a maul makes me feel alive!

I burn four cords per year and don't have a splitter. I don't want one. Splitting is the fun part of firewood processing. Just don't try to split a cord on your first day. Ease into it.

I burn four cords per year and don't have a splitter. I don't want one. Splitting is the fun part of firewood processing. Just don't try to split a cord on your first day. Ease into it.

Yeah I agree but Iam only in my mid 30's. I could maybe split that whole pile up over short period of time. We are lucky to have easy splitting softwoods thou.

I found I was able to buy an electric 5 ton splitter for the same price as renting a gas powered 22 ton for three days.

That was 20 some cords ago and I haven't "needed" a 22t yet. I got all winter to split next winter's wood. If I was in a big enough hurry I would look at gas again. I dunno what you are paying for electricity, but @25 cents per kilowatt hour I am paying about four bucks of juice to split a cord pretty small. And I can run the thing indoors if I need to.

Reactions: davidmsem
I too am an old guy with back issues. That looks like a load of ash you've got there? Pretty easy splitting, yes? Why not just split by hand? I've done it for a long time and it's my favorite (and only) exercise. I split about six cords of white and black oak this summer, all with maul and wedge. Anything that's too gnarly gets set aside for the fire pit. Don't sell yourself short and don't deprive yourself of one of the greatest pleasures offered by the woodburning lifestyle. Swinging a maul makes me feel alive!

Good call! Yes it is Ash, which is good because I want to burn this next season. Thank you.....right now I'm learned and adjusting to burning.

I found I was able to buy an electric 5 ton splitter for the same price as renting a gas powered 22 ton for three days.

That was 20 some cords ago and I haven't "needed" a 22t yet. I got all winter to split next winter's wood. If I was in a big enough hurry I would look at gas again. I dunno what you are paying for electricity, but @25 cents per kilowatt hour I am paying about four bucks of juice to split a cord pretty small. And I can run the thing indoors if I need to.

Interesting....not in a big hurry......I just did not think the 5 ton could handle the larger stuff. Then again I'm sure the 5 ton will exert more force than I!

Last edited:
I use a little electric splitter as well, splits 90% of my wood. What it cant do I just noodle down the middle a few inches with the saw to get it started and it always pops open then. $1000+ is a big investment if it may sit unused the majority if the time. Go for the on sale electric add the stand and for $300+ your just as far ahead.

For the big stuff, and I've put stuff so big on my electric splitter that I had to roll it on, split stuff off the sides, like you would with a maul. Don't split 50/50 on the first try. Anything over 2ft in diameter usually gets pieces split off the sides.

I ruptured the disc at L5 S1. I'm one hundred percent okay after the surgery, but really don't want to swing an axe. So yes, the answer does lie in there.

Wow, modern medicine is pretty good for a spine surgery patient to recouperate to the point of thinking he can hand split his own wood. Unfortunately the surgery probably cost 200k. Hopefully it didn't cause the problem.

Coming here asking that question is like asking a barber if you need a haircut.

I herniated the disc between S1 and L5 over 10 years ago. I had an MRI and the herniation hit the 10 ring on the left sciatic. Excruciating pain all day and all night. I waited a year and I was 80% better. 6 months later I was 90% better.

I split wood with a maul and I have a splitter I salvaged and rebuilt. I prefer the maul and have no back problems. It's good exercise and it makes my back stronger which prevents problems. I also lift weight 4x a week which really helps. The splitter is handy for forks, knots and hard t spllit wood. For me it isn't a back thing but a time thing. With the splitter I am able to burn the uglies and split them fast.

If you plan on heating with wood and have space to store a splitter I would recommend getting one. You will like having it available when you need it and chance are the price will only go up in the future. Buy one now. I woudl also suggest buying the biggest one you can afford. You never know what you will want to split in the future.

Bob

Wow, modern medicine is pretty good for a spine surgery patient to recouperate to the point of thinking he can hand split his own wood. Unfortunately the surgery probably cost 200k. Hopefully it didn't cause the problem.

The surgery on L5 S1 is the easiest thing they do...no cutting of bone, no fusion. When I awoke from surgery I was completely out of nerve pain. I went to a wedding 4 days later. I walked 6 hours after surgery. Microsurgery is fantastic. I want to save the swinging for the golf clubs!!!!

:)

David

Last edited:
Coming here asking that question is like asking a barber if you need a haircut.

I herniated the disc between S1 and L5 over 10 years ago. I had an MRI and the herniation hit the 10 ring on the left sciatic. Excruciating pain all day and all night. I waited a year and I was 80% better. 6 months later I was 90% better.

I split wood with a maul and I have a splitter I salvaged and rebuilt. I prefer the maul and have no back problems. It's good exercise and it makes my back stronger which prevents problems. I also lift weight 4x a week which really helps. The splitter is handy for forks, knots and hard t spllit wood. For me it isn't a back thing but a time thing. With the splitter I am able to burn the uglies and split them fast.

If you plan on heating with wood and have space to store a splitter I would recommend getting one. You will like having it available when you need it and chance are the price will only go up in the future. Buy one now. I woudl also suggest buying the biggest one you can afford. You never know what you will want to split in the future.

Bob

I'm going to mix it up and split some by hand and I went and purchased a 5 ton electric for $209 (25% off) at Harbor Freight Tool. For the stuff that won't split, I will put it aside and utilize the gentleman that delivers it to your house for $100 per day.

I very much appreciate the dialog. Seeing that some people recommended the electric encouraged me to watch them in action on YouTube.....slow and steady and will split at least half of what I have if not more.

Thank you all!!!!

Reactions: SKIN052
Good choice. Most of the electric splitters will typically do up to a 20'' round. I cut most of mine around 16'', a little trick is to make a short 3-4'' round and use it as a spacer. It gets the wood splitting faster and also drive the wood further into the splitting head. I find it ends up an 1'' or so short which is a pain on a snarly piece.

Looks like the question is answered. Closing and awaiting a new thread about how it works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.