Does this seem like a good deal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chazcarr

Minister of Fire
Jan 22, 2012
Southbury, CT
I see this add on craigslist all the time, and I have even seen this truck.
http://newhaven.craigslist.org/grd/3343957867.html

But I have been burned enough by ordering cords that I just scrounge my own wood now.

Yet, I think this is a good deal.

Can I get some thoughts on this?

thank you

I was going to reply with "It will be mostly bark" but then I read the ad....Sounds good, I've burned slab wood in my Quad before had no complaints other than the pieces being thin/small and only burned while I could tend to the stove.

I've seen cheaper prices on slab wood before, just sayin...

Reasonable cost if you are in the free delivery area.
Not as good of wood if you got a log length delivered.
It's BTUs & if you need some it will dry faster & be easy to buck & stack.
If you have a truck & can go get it form a saw mill you may save some $$, try some & see how yo like it ;)

The price is going to be different depending on where you live, up here in the country those go for $50 all you want, then again I get cut and split green for $135/$150 depending on whether its oak or not. They do look like good slabs if you need wood and they do dry quick,

I see this add on craigslist all the time, and I have even seen this truck.
http://newhaven.craigslist.org/grd/3343957867.html

But I have been burned enough by ordering cords that I just scrounge my own wood now.

Yet, I think this is a good deal.

Can I get some thoughts on this?

thank you

Chazcarr, what you need to remember is that slabwood can be good but if the wood is really dry, you do not want to load the stove full of that stuff. This, of course, makes it not so good in mid winter when you really need the heat. But daytime burning is okay as you don't have to fill the stove.

Another thing to remember is that this wood probably is not dry when you buy it. Especially if they bundle the slabs right after sawing the lumber. So, especially if there is oak in the bundles, you won't be burning any of that this year.

Many times burning slab wood can be a bargain so long as one realizes what they are getting and how they can burn it. Also remember that when you get delivery, you are still going to have to cut those slabs into firewood length. You will find quickly that cutting slabs with a chainsaw is not always easy. If you have a buzz saw, then it is great. I'm not saying you can't do this with a chain saw because I've cut plenty this way (for others). But it is a pain in the neck doing the cutting. Best if there are 2 of you and you are using a sawbuck.

As for price, most slabs sell for a lower price but in this situation the guy says most of the bark is off so that is a plus.

Those 4x4x9 bundles don't typically end up being a cord though. In my experience it's more like 1/2-3/4 cord. I bought a few loads last year straight from the logger. They were really cheap only $10 a bundle. Now I'm seeing those bundles going for much more. Guys bought em and sat on them for a while. They burn good though.

Do you have something that would make it easy to cut it to length? A radial arm saw or a sliding miter saw? Or a big old ban saw with a heavy blade. It really depends on how hard it will be to cut for you. Maybe you could make the guy another offer. Tell him you are interested in trying to process and burn some first before you buy a lot of it. So let's say one would come out to two thirds of a cord after processed and stacked tightly. So you would give him $200 for two bundles and try. You will have time into processing it. And like Dennis, the man, and the others have said, it burns fast and hot, and needs to be tended more than good quality hardwood cordwood. Let us know what you decide and how you make out Chazcarr. Don't forget pics. We loves pics.

If he drops them bundled they are really easy to cut like that. Just mark off the lengths and drop the chainsaw down into the bundle. Work in from both ends and you can get a lot cut in a short amount of time. From my experiencce it took longer to toss the cut pieces then to make the cut.

Thanks for the advice, I don't need the wood now, but I want to start getting some on site so I can season it myself. After reading these replies, I think I will skip this, I can get green wood already split for less than this price in the spring. Especially with swagler85 saying it might only come out to a little more than half a cord. Plus there is a delivery charge for me it would seem since I am not exactly in his list of towns.

Status
Not open for further replies.