Does This Sound Like Excessive Ceiling Clearance?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drewboy

Oct 8, 2008
Lakes Region, NH
I did do my homework and went way back and searched the site and the NFPA Install guidelines and I question why the tag on the back of my stove

calls for a minimum 59" clearance from stove top to ceiling - This seems excessive even when I went back through all the clearance posts...

As the stove sits on my hearth I have 56" ... There is nothing in the actual install manual that states 59", only the tag on the stove which I realize

probably trumps all else, but 56" seems like a very reasonable space. And yes it is EPA cert. on the tag and new as of last season...

Any thoughts - I would appreciate them,
Rob

Well, your house is not gonna burn down....if that is the question! In fact, I doubt the ceiling will be more than lukewarm.

Ceiling clearances are usually larger than the other ones for a couple reasons:

1. Heat rises
2. Most stoves have a flame path which puts the hottest part of the fire toward the top of the stove......
3. Stoves are tested in a black painted booth.......and sometimes tested for alcoves (walled in sides).

Well I kinda figured it was fine but sometimes I spend way to much time on this forum and I start feeling that paranoia about my install not being

perfect...I get the general feeling that you should be a stickler for clearances and safety so that's why I questioned that #.

Oh, only my wife thinks I spend too much time on Hearth.com ;-P

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.