Does this stove exist?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Blaze king is rumored to be releasing one soon, Ashford model if my memory is working.

Welded steel box, with cast iron 'exterior'... door with glass, and a catalytic convertor?

Rather than steel, why not consider soapstone/cast with a cat? Woodstock makes a few models and backs them with a terrific guarantee. Company and employees are top notch.

Why cover up a good lookin steel stove with cast iron? ;lol

I believe the ONLY cast iron catalytic stove on the market today is the Dutchwest 246x series, which does not seem to have many fans around here, and is set up primarily for side loading. BK has plans to change that, but they're keeping tight lipped about the spec's, what it will look like, and release date. Woodstock has some soapstone catalytic stoves, almost as pretty as cast iron, but they are only side loaders (no front / top load).

If you're willing to look at a steel stove, there are many options (BK, Buck, Appalacian, Country Flame, Kuma Sequoia, High Valley, Sierra, etc., etc., etc.).

I haven't seen too many negative reports on the Dutchwest Catalytic stoves. Most folks have had a good run with them. It's the everburn models that have proved more of a problem due to the difficulty in getting them to run well under varying conditions and the premature wearing out of refractory components.

I haven't seen too many negative reports on the Dutchwest Catalytic stoves. Most folks have had a good run with them. It's the everburn models that have proved more of a problem due to the difficulty in getting them to run well under varying conditions and the premature wearing out of refractory components.

What turns me off from the VC cat stoves (dutchwest) is firstly that they are modern VC products but then that they need an 8" flue for the medium size stoves and lastly the air intake system. It is not thermostatic, has two or three points of adjustment, and then primary air enters through flaps on the bottom which eliminates OAK from working. I was also under the impression that the internal catalyst holders are fragile and prone to failure.

The BK is ugly but really has the competition crying for mercy being squashed under their mighty foot of superiority.

Reactions: Jags
To get back to this... the primary reason I was looking at welded guts was for longevity. If I buy a stove, I don't want the hassle of having to re-cement it a few years down the road. My FIL has an older Dutch Large Cat and he swears by it (actually I think he has two, now that memory serves... only the second one is the small version).

When I said the Dutchwest doesn't have many fans, I wasn't implying there were a lot of negative reports, either. Being the only cast iron cat stove I could find, I was quite interested in the Dutchwest myself, but couldn't find many people able to give me feedback on them... positive or otherwise. The consesus was similar to what Highbeam stated, being a VC product, but the real deal killer for me was the inability to front load full-sized splits thru their miniature front door.

Status
Not open for further replies.