Does this truck look like it could hold 3 cords?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdaddybry

Jul 3, 2008
N. Prov. RI
3m43od3lf5Ta5S45R6a2k6ad703d795e9177f.jpg

I'm always a little leery going with someone new.

3 cords for 420.00 seems like a great deal though.

http://providence.craigslist.org/grd/1609336480.html

it looks like its stack very well just need to know what size bed it is.

What is the size of the bed of the truck ??? That should tell you how much wood you have.

box is roughly 16' long? got a 79 Gmc dump like that @ work its just about 16'

Ja, that looks to be 3 cord, assuming 8'x12' bed stacked 4' high.

devinsdad said:
box is roughly 16' long? got a 79 Gmc dump like that @ work its just about 16'

i agree, we have a GMC like that on our the farm. it started out with 16' foot dump but it has since been changed. we would get two cords on it unstacked a with a low 2' tailgate.

I agree that could well be 3 cord and that is a great deal.. If this guy would deliver here I'd take him up on that deal on 3 cords...

Ray

I agree that it is an 8 x 12 bed and if it is stacked 4 ft high you are in luck, but I do not think that looks like 4' high.

Backwoods Savage said:
I agree that it is an 8 x 12 bed and if it is stacked 4 ft high you are in luck, but I do not think that looks like 4' high.

I agree, notice the side boards, 3 are equal size, they may be 12" each, but one is 1/2 that size, so total of 42" high.

It also will depend on whether the load is stacked throughout for just the last two rows stacked to hold the rest of the thrown in load in place.

Send it Back!
Tell him u don"t like the way it is stacked!

Then run like HHeellee!

Pay Him.
Stack it.. If short let him know.

Then run like HHeellee!
You already know the path.

sides look well over four feet to me sounds like a good deal to me

bigdaddybry said:
3m43od3lf5Ta5S45R6a2k6ad703d795e9177f.jpg

I'm always a little leery going with someone new.

3 cords for 420.00 seems like a great deal though.

http://providence.craigslist.org/grd/1609336480.html

I emailed him and this was the reply.

"my truck is 12ftx8ftx5ft loaded. I sorry but Carver Mass is 2 hours away and it would be to much fuel to go there and back."

If what he said is true this would equal 3.75 cord, a very good deal..

RaY

Take the pic with a grain of salt. I've seen several firewood dealers around my area that stack ONE row in the back (showing) and bulk load everything else behind it. I'm not saying the dealer(s) are being sneaky, just that you might now be able to accurately judge the quantity by the pic.

Jake said:
whats 3.75 cords weigh in at?

Could be as heavy as 7.5 ton, depends what type of wood is on it..

Ray

Peter SWNH said:
Take the pic with a grain of salt. I've seen several firewood dealers around my area that stack ONE row in the back (showing) and bulk load everything else behind it. I'm not saying the dealer(s) are being sneaky, just that you might now be able to accurately judge the quantity by the pic.

Those folks probably aren't being "sneaky" so much as they are forming a "wall" in the back with the wood and then tossing the wood into the front with the "wall" to keep the wood from easily falling out the back.

My first question would be what length is the wood cut. If it is 16" then each stacked row of 4' high by 8' long would be 1/3 cord. If you see 12 stacks it is 3 cord. I do doubt the bed is 8' wide, more like 7'5" so it needs to be slighty over 4' high to make up the difference.
Thomas

firefighterjake said:
Those folks probably aren't being "sneaky" so much as they are forming a "wall" in the back with the wood and then tossing the wood into the front with the "wall" to keep the wood from easily falling out the back.

True, the only time I stack wood on my flatbed is if I'm going a great distance and need to make the trip count for a little more. On the Toyota, you have to stack just to haul anything at all. :)

A cord is a cord whether it is stacked or piled. You just don't know for sure until it is stacked.

The average weight of a dry cord of ash (which is in the middle of the hardwoods) is 3000 lbs. per cord. If you think that this truck can haul 4 1/2 tons easily then it is correct. Any of you that have the same truck think that is probable. Im sure it can haul that much weight, but how low is it sitting.

firefighterjake said:
Peter SWNH said:

you are correct sir! It turns out that it is not all stacked, but bulk loaded up until that last row. 90% red oak

Status
Not open for further replies.