Does this wood need to be split smaller?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smileti

Aug 4, 2008
NW CT
I love burning wood, but I hate buying it!
Ordered two cords - asked over and over if it was ready to burn this season. "Of course! It's been split for years." Well, not exactly - turns out it had been cut a couple of years ago and left in logs 6 to 8 feet long, but just split - and it's not anywhere near 20% dry yet (Most of it is bark-less, which I hope is a good sign.) In addition to that disappointment, the "splits" are a lot larger than I'm used to. The length is what I asked for, but many are 9" - 10" across (the big light one in the center of the pic is 9.5" at the widest).
Maybe it's fine, and split size is just a preference. What would you do - leave as is, or invest more time/money and split it into smaller pieces? (Not sure how I'd accomplish the re-splitting as I don't own a splitter).

Attachments

• Big_Splits.jpg
    Big_Splits.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 808
if it fits roll with it

I just found the "optimal split size" thread - sorry all. Should've read that first.

Any one with a notion about how long before this wood dries down to 20%? It's mostly at 30%, and the barks already gone.

You should have purch. this winters wood last year! For modern inserts or stoves I like 4" splits. Larger for over night burns!

Don't I know it! Just didn't have the space until this year. I'm trying to get ahead now - I've already stacked four or five cords for next year, and have been trying to buy actual DRY wood for this year. Now it looks like the two cords I just bought will also be for next year, and I'll be burning bio-bricks this winter.

Skip said:
I just found the "optimal split size" thread - sorry all. Should've read that first.

A
ny one with a notion about how long before this wood dries down to 20%? It's mostly at 30%, and the barks already gone.

if you trust your meter split it again

Yeah, split it again. That size won't even fit in my stove and I like big splits. It will dry much faster. Stack it in long single rows, cover the tops only, and you can probably burnit for the second half of the winter.

Skip, ideal size is dependent upon the stove it goes into. For example, my old stove loved that size of split you have but the new one doesn't. However, with the new one (smaller firebox) I do put one large split like what you have right in the bottom rear and that helps keep the fire going longer.

I can't tell by the picture what type of wood you have there but if it were me, I'd simply split it in half again (use an axe or splitting maul as it will be easy splitting). Then stack it up in the wind and I'd be willing to bet you can burn that stuff this winter rather than bio bricks.

+1 split it, stack it ( cross stack ), cover it and burn it later this winter. it may not be ideal but it is what you have. Some wood seasons quicker than others. That does not look like oak to me.

skip, i agree with the rest of the people, split it again and you might be ok to burn this winter. stack it like they said and good luck!

Re-splitting already split wood is usually pretty easy - no need for a splitter unless you aren't able to swing a maul. With most wood species, and when I am splitting splits, not rounds, I usually find i don't need to swing the maul very hard at all. Splitting rounds can be a little harder to make the first split, and you'll find a few difficult pieces in any batch of wood, but your wood pile doesn't look tough to me. Save the money on a spliter and do it by hand. You get some excercise in the process.

Wood Duck said:
Re-splitting already split wood is usually pretty easy - no need for a splitter unless you aren't able to swing a maul. With most wood species, and when I am splitting splits, not rounds, I usually find i don't need to swing the maul very hard at all. Splitting rounds can be a little harder to make the first split, and you'll find a few difficult pieces in any batch of wood, but your wood pile doesn't look tough to me. Save the money on a spliter and do it by hand. You get some excercise in the process.

While you don't need to go all out, don't half-a** a swing either. That will just wear you out more as you fight to free the axe when it only makes it half way through the split.

Maybe it is just me, but a half hearted swing seems to make me more tired than a full, well executed swing.

Tell the supplier to take it back, you don't want that oversized unseasoned wood. How much did you pay?
Next time see the wood before delivery.

Never burn wet wood in your woodstove.
Go through each piece and split where necessary.
If it feels heavy or does not make a hollow sound when you wood knock two pieces together then it is not ready.
Loosely stack it off the ground where it will get some wind. Cover the top when it rains alot.
Go find dry wood; for your case probably enough to get through December at least, but that's a guess because I haven't handled the wood.
No wet wood in the temple!

Different sizes for different folks and stoves . . . for me that wood appears to be a bit large. I like having a few larger pieces for the overnight burns, but prefer more wood to be a bit smaller than what you appear to have there. If this wood is still green I would most definitely split it down more, stack loose and there may be a chance it will dry out for burning later this winter . . . renting a splitter for the day or simply using an ax or splitting maul should make relatively short work of the wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.