Does top-down expose cats to more moisture?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dreezon

Aug 7, 2009
Peoria, IL
I understand the benefits of the top-down lighting method. I've used it, and I kinda like it, but I wonder, does it have any ill effects on catalytic combustor? If the wood at the bottom doesn't get hot enough to boil off it's moisture content until after the cat is engaged, I would think it would be detrimental to the life of the cat. Maybe this is not a real concern. Maybe the by the time the internal temperatures reach cat-appropriate levels, all the water is boiled out of even the bottom splits. After all, it does take a while to get to those temps when you're starting with a cold stove. Still, it seems possible the stuff on the bottom would still have a fair amount of moisture left in it.

Thoughts? Anyone tested this and found out for sure?

I wouldn't say that I've "tested" it - I don't have the tools to do any sort of exhaustive experiments and verification. However, I have used top-down starts almost exclusively for my cold starts since I got my Fireview over a year ago. I have not seen any problems. At the open house I took my cat with me just to see what the gurus at WS would have to say about it in terms of how it looked (I wasn't even sure IF they would be able to say anything from looking at it but i figured it was worth a shot). At any rate, several folks looked it over and said it was in no worse shape than they would expect for the amount of burn time and wood I have put through it. So whatever I'm doing isn't dramatically bad for the cat (or I'm one lucky guy?).

I don't think it's much of a concern unless your burning really wet wood. Have you ever opened the door right be for engaging to see if there is any sizzling on those bottom splits?

I gave up on the top down technique this year and just went with burning a pile of kindling for 15-30 minutes, rake coals forward, load splits and char for 10-15 minutes then engage. Seems quicker for cold starts and it's just like reloading during 24/7 burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.