does type of liner insulation matter? woodstove blankets vs. other high temp blankets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rmcfall

Feeling the Heat
Nov 28, 2005
Just wondering whether there is any advantage of using an insulative blanket made specifically for woodstove liners over using a high-temp blanket such as Kaowool? The only thing I can think of is that a blanket sold for use with woodstoves would probably come with the metal wrap, tape, "staples" or whatever that is used to hold the blanket onto the liner during installation. Any other benefits?

BTW. What is the recommended thickness for a blanket? Is there a point of diminishing returns in terms of the thickness?

The liners for stoves and chimney are both kaowol, the liner insulation comes faced or un faced. The thickness i belive 1/4" give you 2" clearance, and the 1/2" gives zero. Those clearacnes might be off, i would need to look them up at work. But it would demonstate that there is a point of diminishing return. A product called armor mesh is what is used to hold the insulation to the pipe. Kind of a big stainless steel net that is tube shaped that the liner slips in to.

Thanks. Like you said with regard to the 1/2" and zero clearance, that would appear to show there are diminishing returns... What about the cold temperature of a masonry chimney on an exterior wall... I wonder if a greater thickness than 1/2" would be needed to maximize draft for a liner installed in such a chimney? The zero clearance you mentioned would seem to indicate nothing greater than 1/2" would be needed, but perhaps that would be misleading since it is based on keeping the liner "cool" instead of warm??? Do the insulative properties work the same for keeping a liner cool (as in the case of zero clearance) as they do for keeping a liner warm (in the case of an exterior chimney)?

1/4" = 1" clearance 1/2= 0 clearance. I dont realy uderstand the rest of the question, i havent had all my coffie yet, the insulation is there to keep the exterior of the liner cool, and the interior hot.

I found this place online that sells the insulation blankets, but they don't have facing on either side. They are 1" and the price is right. But does the lack of foil matter?

Make sure you read your liner manual, my liner specifically states in the biggest letters of the manual, in bold that under no circumstances am I to use over 1/4" equivalent refractory ceramic fiber else I may create unsafe conditions resulting in damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.