Does White Oak season faster than Red Oak?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PA. Woodsman

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2007
Emmaus, Pennsylvania
Had off from work today so I was moving some rounds of Oak into a holding area where it'll get more sun and wind, and the rounds of White Oak seemed like they might be drier than the rounds of Red Oak even though they were all cut the same time. Does White Oak dry faster than Red Oak or are they about the same? Thanks!

Had off from work today so I was moving some rounds of Oak into a holding area where it'll get more sun and wind, and the rounds of White Oak seemed like they might be drier than the rounds of Red Oak even though they were all cut the same time. Does White Oak dry faster than Red Oak or are they about the same? Thanks!

I haven't noticed a lot of difference but if anything white oak is a little slower to dry out

Not that I've had a lot of white oak to do a lot of scientific measurements, but I've kept it separate and given it an extra year.
For the same reason(s)(tylosis-filled veins) it makes great liquid barrels and boat hulls. White oak barrels for liquids, red oak barrels for nails and things because it 'breathes'.

Does White Oak dry faster than Red Oak or are they about the same?
A couple of people have said that here, IIRC. I couldn't say from my own experience; The White I burned last winter was from a live blow-down but had 3 summers in the stack. It was dry, but Red would be dry here in that time, too.

I find that white takes longer than red, generally. With all the variables possible (size, less dead?, time of year, etc.) I find it kind of hard to quantify.

White takes longer...I will take red over white any day

I dont know which dries faster..or more efficiently but I like the smell of White more(and the color and feel and texture). Red Oak splits easier, even around the knots. But theres something about White oak. Maybe it was the snobbery of the British Empire and their superior English oak that started it all.
Just like the White mulberry and the silk routes of China.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Status
Not open for further replies.