Does wood piled this high ever season?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
cygnus said:
Does wood piled this high ever season? http://www.aaafirewood.net/

The wood piled at the top will season nicely.....the underneath not so great. It will season fine after taking it home and stacking it in single rows off the ground :)

looks like my backyard.....ok not that bad. The seasoned pile looks good, but the stuff down in the center has got to be moldy and punky by now

Jeff

If nothing else, they know how to make some firewood. Has anyone actually seen mold in a heap or is that one of the passed around legends?

If that pile catches fire it will keep us all warm.

Smokey the bear is getting nervous...... :grrr:

SolarAndWood said:
If nothing else, they know how to make some firewood. Has anyone actually seen mold in a heap or is that one of the passed around legends?

Oh yeah, I can't buck up rounds and let 'em sit too long, or they start getting mold pretty quick. Nasty to handle.
Heck, even the log load pile has some. No urban/rural legend here.
The wood still burns. Maybe it adds some btu's?!

A-cord-ingLEE said:
Yet anuther reason 2 buy wood well ahead of time.

Words of wisdom.

If you have to buy C-S-D wood, buy it a year in advance, stack it like it was meant to be, and it will definat-LEE be seasoned when it is time to burn.

No, I won't be making any purchase. The firewood business just interests me. I think there is a lot of room for providing more value/service and those machines for processing are sooooooo cool!

I little more wood and the power company wouldnt need a bucket truck to get to the lines...

pile o’ wood said:
I little more wood and the power company wouldnt need a bucket truck to get to the lines...

Ya! what happens if those lines need to be serviced? Talk about a bit of a road block to overcome....

Something about those pictures makes me concerned about workplace safety. With grapple trucks and tall wood processing equipment those overhead lines look way to close to me. Maybe it is all an optical illusion...

Just another typical wood seller. "Yes, the wood is seasoned! It's been split and piled for a long time."

Status
Not open for further replies.