Does Your Hearthstone Clydesdale Insert Blower Fan Rattle and Wheeze? Here's the Solution - See the

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eaglecraft

Aug 18, 2010
Eastern Idaho
Hi All!

Shortly after installing my Clydesdale insert, I noticed an annoying rattling noise, or resonance, or vibration coming from the unit. I thought at first it was coming from Jacob Marley, who somehow got stuck one Christmas day in my Chimney and was rattling his chains. No. Then I thought maybe it was the surround, or maybe the fan blower motor. No,no...it turns out that the sheet metal housing that mounts the blower fan to the insert is the culprit.

An astute contributor on this Forum, I forget whom (an effect of old age), indicated that one could obtain a fix for this problem. The solution is Technical Bulletin #122 "Clydesdale 8491 Air Shroud Vibration Damper Install." I called the great folks at http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/ and spoke with Paul, who ordered the fix from Hearthstone. I received the part yesterday and installed it today.

The part is nothing more than a rectangular hunk of rubber (some very special rubber of that I'm sure) about 1 inch wide by about an inch and one-half tall. What you do is take the ash lip off the insert, and then jam the rubber thingy under the bottom of the air shroud, left hand side. Put the ash lip back on and light a fire.

Success - Clydesdale up to 500 degrees F - blower blowing like crazy and NO MORE NOISE!!! Thanks for your help Paul.

The attached photos show the rubber thingy, where the rubber thingy goes, the rubber thingy in place, and finally enjoying a noise free fire afterward.

Attachments

• POST IMG_9030.jpg
    POST IMG_9030.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,838
  • POST IMG_9031.jpg
    POST IMG_9031.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 1,939
  • POST IMG_9037.jpg
    POST IMG_9037.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,876
  • POST IMG_9040.jpg
    POST IMG_9040.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 1,897
I have the same annoying noise and plan to order the kit. I find it discouraging the manufacturer has known about this issue for awhile and hasn't fixed the problem or even shipped the part to fix the problem with newer units and furthermore that the dealers are not automatically fixing this when they install the units. I just had my installed last November and it has rattled from day one.

Same issue here, installed in december, what an annoyance....beautiful insert with this horrid noise...gaaah. Where do we order the fix? i'm thinking it should be free for the price they charge for these defective things.

funkadelicturkey said:
Same issue here, installed in december, what an annoyance....beautiful insert with this horrid noise...gaaah. Where do we order the fix? i'm thinking it should be free for the price they charge for these defective things.

Funkeyturkey:

Check in with your dealer and ask for the part. They will contact Hearthstone and get the part shipped to you. The fix is free. I agree that Hearthstone and dealers should be sending these fixes to all their recent Clydesdale (new Model 8491) customers automatically without having the customer ask for them. It would akin to an auto recall.

Good luck with your Clydesdale.

Thanks Vole for posting this, I would have never known they had a fix. It has always bothered me that such an expensive/beautiful stove shouuld have a rattling blower. My "Vibration Damper" is on the way!

Wood Heat Stoves said:
http://www.hearthstonestoves.com/assets/files/document_library/TB122 - Clydesdale 8491 Vibration Dampener Install.pdf

here is the pdf of this if anyone is interested..
not sure if the link will work, hearth.com doesn't like 20% signs

i do have the pdf if anyone wants a copy..

Yes, the site doesn't do URLs with spaces. Here's a condensed link to the doc, without spaces: http://tinyurl.com/4vtaen9

Is Hearthstone shipping with this rubber shim in new units? Is this silicone rubber for a good long life?

BeGreen said:
Wood Heat Stoves said:
http://www.hearthstonestoves.com/assets/files/document_library/TB122 - Clydesdale 8491 Vibration Dampener Install.pdf

here is the pdf of this if anyone is interested..
not sure if the link will work, hearth.com doesn't like 20% signs

i do have the pdf if anyone wants a copy..

Yes, the site doesn't do URLs with spaces. Here's a condensed link to the doc, without spaces: http://tinyurl.com/4vtaen9

Is Hearthstone shipping with this rubber shim in new units? Is this silicone rubber for a good long life?

no, they dont include this item, i wish they did.
but, although this is a well know issue, i'd guess 10-20% max of new units require this to run quietly. and they send out the part for free w/o question upon request.

it is hardened high temp silicone. the wires leading to the fan will melt before the shim
(yes it should last a long time)

Installed the damper, according to the directions that came with it and it seemed to transfer the vibration to the area under the fan control wheel. As a temporary fix to the fix I wedged a wing nut under that and problem solved. Anyone else have problems with the damper?

Status
Not open for further replies.