Does your pellet stove start every single time?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy H

Oct 4, 2009
Upstate NY
I've only had mine set up and running for a week or so but it seems like about once out of every 10 times I try to start it the thing does not light. It the auger will feed the pellets into the pot but nothing happens. sometimes it will smoke a little but that is it. I learned quick that if it doesn't start you have to empty the pot or it will just overflow when you go to start it again and you'll end up with a ton of smoke in the stove and then it will make a loud POOF and finally light but once it didn't light and smoked like crazy and filled the house with smoke, we are just finally getting the smell out of the place.

I don't think I'm doing anything wrong but maybe? Any ideas? It just makes me nervous because sometimes I'll get up early and turn the thing on and then go back to bed.

btw- the stove is a Forester 5824 but it seems like i'm pretty much the only one in the world that has this thing because I cant find any info on it. Even when i called for another issue the service guy didn't know anything about the stove and was pretty much just reading the manual with me while I waited.

My Europa I light with firestarting Gel...but then again, I only light it once a month when I empty the ash pan :0 For stoves with auto ignite it's not so uncommon to fail the start up once in a while. There is probably a heat sensor in there. If the stove doesnt fire up fast enough, it may shut the stove down.

My house is 1700 square feet and the stove is only something like 35,000 btus but it heats the whole house up in a couple hours and then even on low the thing makes the living room area way to hot so we are always shutting it off and then turning it back on later. It may be different when it gets colder but for right now I can't keep it going.

I've had my P68 installed for a week now so probably not a good test but so far, knock on pellets, it's lit everytime so far

Andy H said:
I've only had mine set up and running for a week or so but it seems like about once out of every 10 times I try to start it the thing does not light. It the auger will feed the pellets into the pot but nothing happens. sometimes it will smoke a little but that is it. I learned quick that if it doesn't start you have to empty the pot or it will just overflow when you go to start it again and you'll end up with a ton of smoke in the stove and then it will make a loud POOF and finally light but once it didn't light and smoked like crazy and filled the house with smoke, we are just finally getting the smell out of the place.

I don't think I'm doing anything wrong but maybe? Any ideas? It just makes me nervous because sometimes I'll get up early and turn the thing on and then go back to bed.

btw- the stove is a Forester 5824 but it seems like i'm pretty much the only one in the world that has this thing because I cant find any info on it. Even when i called for another issue the service guy didn't know anything about the stove and was pretty much just reading the manual with me while I waited.

My Enviro has always started. But it has an extremely hot ignitor. made to start hard lighting fuels such as corn.

Some stoves are designed to run more of a steady basis. More of a leave it on low heat and let it run. Or high/low mode. On high where the stat calls for heat and low when the heat is reached. But it does sound like your stove may be one of those. It does seem like it is new to the market. I have only seen 1 at my local TSC. And they still haven't sold it. Try running in High/low or Manual with a low heat setting until you get some answers.

I would call the Manufacture and get some answers, My be there are some issues with it. I am pretty sure it is made by US Stove Co. Here is there number: 800-750-2723

Call them and fill them in on your issues. They could have a fix or a update for it. Squeaky wheel will get the grease!

jay

I am going on my 2nd year with a Lopi Yankee on a remote thermostat, so it goes on and off alot, never had a problem with it not starting. As long as it fed pellets (a different issue thats been cured) it lights.

My Harman Accentra II has an auto-igniter. It doesn't always start, or shall we say sometimes it seems to take forever to start. When that happens I help it along by putting in some starter gel and a match. That gets it going.

I don't think my CB1200 has ever missed an ignition except when I ran out of pellets or had trouble with one brand of pellets bridging the feed gate and preventing pellets from getting to the auger... Bottom line is that if pellets make it into the pot the ignitor works 999 out of 1000 times.

I wonder if your ignitor position could be slightly adjusted to make it more effective ?

Mine never misses unless I don`t put in enough starting gel, alcohol, etc.
Of course it`s manual ignition.

My Englander 10-cpm starts flawlessly every time, even with the terrible Inferno pellets I test burned.

cncpro said:
I wonder if your ignitor position could be slightly adjusted to make it more effective ?

is that something that is usually adjustable?

I really don't get it, most of the time it fires right up and takes off but like i said every once in a while i get a little smoke but not much else. I try to look in and see what it's doing but it's a tough angle to see. Maybe there is an issue with the igniter. Since the thing is about a week old maybe they would just send me a new one to try out.

Andy H said:
...is that something that is usually adjustable?.......Maybe there is an issue with the igniter. Since the thing is about a week old maybe they would just send me a new one to try out.

Since it DOES light the pellets sometimes, I'd tend to say it's not the ignitor.

Yes, on some stoves, there is the ability to "adjust" the position of the ignitor. I'd call the tech phone line for your stove and see if they can offer some ideas.

my stove lights every time I hit it with the MAPP pushbutton ignite torch that I have been using for years. an eight dollar bottle of MAPP gas costs about 10 bucks, lasts 2 seasons, lights everytime, and i always have it on hand when I need it to dry my hair. Or fix a pipe.

Where do they sell the MAPP gas torches that work with a programmable thermostat ? :-/

I do agree that they are extremely valuable for plumbing though. Much hotter than propane...

I have had this happen a couple of times and the last time I happened to be watching the stove....I think initially not enough pellets dropped into the pot, so there wasn't enough fire to trigger the thermocouple andthe whole thing just died out. When I pushed the reset more pellets dropped in and the starter lit them no problem. I have the fuel rod closed all the way to minimize the number of pellets getting into the burn pot from the auger as I perfer a little less fire in the pot under normal burning, however maybe I have been a bit overboard with this adjustment. The recommendation for the Quads is setting the rod out 1/4 inch...maybe I'll go back to that. It has never happened when I am using the corn mix (80 pellets 20 corn) and I suspect I get a bit more fuel from the auger in the start cucle when there is corn to fill up the holes.

breklaw said:
my stove lights every time I hit it with the MAPP pushbutton ignite torch that I have been using for years. an eight dollar bottle of MAPP gas costs about 10 bucks, lasts 2 seasons, lights everytime, and i always have it on hand when I need it to dry my hair. Or fix a pipe.

Where do you buy an eight dollar bottle of MAPP gas for 10 bucks...not much of a sale...I hope you don't buy your pellets there!!

HAH! You got me! Thats what happens when you multitask! (Or, try to!)

Andy H said:

How many pellets do you have on hand? It's been proven that the more pellets you have in storage, the better your stove will run

If you are getting to the smoke stage that means your smoldering before the pellets ignite. I would try a scoop of different pellets.If igniter wasnt working I dont think you would get to the smoke stage.

WHAT PELLETS ARE YOU USING? and have you tried any others?.. i have seen pellets be the cause of a long ignition/false start as often as a mechanical problem.

My stove does this. I wait about 5-8 minutes, if it is not lit ny then, I put some starting gel on the pellets and light it. It takes right off then..Last year I was using a torch to light them, the gel much easier...

My Quadra-Fire Castile starts every time without fail.

5 y.o. st croix starts every time. Keep this stove clean and it treats ya right.

Status
Not open for further replies.