Does your wife operate the stove as well?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup,my job keeps me away from home quite a bit..My wife handles our stove with ease.

nyk0306 said:
I'm 46, weigh 110 soaking wet and do everything except chainsaw and heavy splitting. I do all the stacking (by size, age and species of course)---and built the pallet racks it's all stacked on. I pick it, haul it to the house and burn it. I have tendonitis in both elbows but if I have pieces that are too big or I'm short on kindling I can sledge and wedge well enough. I clean the stove and glass and dump the ashes and prefer the BF not go near the stove. I've woken up a couple mornings choking with the house full of smoke because he tried to restart a full load and forgot to open the air. Once I walked into the room to find him alseep on the couch and a load burning with the door still open. Don't know how many times I'd find one damp pathetic blob smoldering on a 5in. pile of lukewarm cinders. He has no patience, no attention span and no aptitude for it. He can't even manage the charcoal grill. I also do most of the yardwork, gardening and landscaping and all the cooking, cleaning and laundry, re-finished all the kitchen cabinets and made the marble mosaic extension pad for the hearth.
He works his patootie off to allow me to stay home eating bon-bons and watching soap operas. :kiss:
That's my deal, too. I take care of everything at home maintenance wise and in return I don't have to work.
I have no children still at home and other than the animals and a Mother In Law in the back bedroom my time is pretty much my own.

As far as the portion I bolded... I would have said as much but I try to be kind to the husband in public :lol:
But really, he has zero aptitude for anything even remotely DIY.

My wife and 2 of the 3 daughters take care of the stove when needed. 1 daughter is too high maintenance sorta speak. Although she is usaully the first to sit next to the stove when she feels cool. So........ 3 outta 4 aint bad .

I'm the wife, and I'm not the 'fire goddess' for nothin' ;)

When we had the coal stove I started it cold and kept it going for days. When hubby started it....
Now, I am home with our kidletts so I just do it. Haul the wood up in 21gal bins, load the stove and all is warm. I'm good at it too :) and becoming somewhat obsessed as I think about all the wood I want to haul out of our woods next year...

I'm capable of stacking as well, though hubby did do it this year. A little freaked about using a chainsaw...but somehow once I felt the power...I'll let you know in the spring...

mine is learning.... she will get up over night and reload it and when i'm off she will have it burning for when i get up. she is definatley getting better with it...

The great chainsaw debate! lol Can I run one? Yes. Do I run one? Not if I can help it! With hubby's big saw it's all I can do to lift it and hold it up for any length of time so I know that if it kicks I'm in a world of hurt. I bought a much smaller saw thinking that I'd be able to take over most of the cutting myself but then a little incident happened involving a friend of ours that caused me to change my mind about that.

Long story short, we stopped by a friends house while he was on the back of his property cutting some wood. Before he even realized that we'd walked up his saw got away from him and ran up his leg. Severed a major artery. I have little doubt that if he'd been alone he'd have bled to death before he made it to the house. As it was, we felt lucky to have kept the bleeding down long enough for the ambulance to arrive. That was enough for me! I'll run the saw but only when there is someone around to dial 911.

Ditto, the DIY thing. I grew up helping my Dad with that sort of thing but hubby just doesn't have a knack for it. I terrify him on a regular basis with my "projects". The look on his face the day he came home and found most of a wall gone when I decided to enlarge the bath was just priceless! :bug: :lol:

I haven't taught my husband how to use the stove yet. Frankly, I don't trust him with it and he has no interest in learning. I stack wood and tend the fire 24/7.
Last week he told me a story about how is father used gasoline in the fireplace. I asked him why the heck anyone would use gas to start a fire in a fireplace and he shrugged and said, "I dunno. I guess it was cheaper than lighter fluid." He was not joking...

I am the wife and the stove is MY toy.
Hubby has never touched it and probably has no desire to.

He grew up as a "city boy", so I am still in the process of
converting him over into enjoying motorsports, football and fire!

You go Girl, Peggy, mbk, fire goddess and tinka! My wife can handle the fire when I'm away too. It sure is nice to come home to a warm and cozy home.

Status
Not open for further replies.