1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Does your Woodgun smell?

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by Woodsrover, Nov 5, 2012.

1. BoilerMan

BoilerMan Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Maine
    No, if I load it up, I have a plan as to where the heat goes. No idleing, so the lower chaimber just roars up all of the smoke, I can get some light blue smoke at idle and it smells like someone burning wood in a closed-off airtight, but nothing like what I had on a regular basis with the smoke dragon. It drove me nuts, and knowing that the smoke had all kinds of btu's in it that were not combusted was even worse. Problem solved with gasser. Wife still wonders when I go outside and look up at the chimney when there is a fire going and smile.
    TS

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. infinitymike

infinitymike Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    The brown smoke happens once in a while. Again, only when it is reloaded with to much wood at once. Remember a WG doesn't idle. When it reaches the high water temperature it shuts off. The fan is off and even if the wood is smoldering in the firebox nothing is coming out of the flue. So it is only be possible to produce smoke when the unit is on and thats when I also have a plan for the heat;) . Grey or blue smoke will always appear when the unit fires back up from an "idle" or "off" mode. But goes away quickly as it reaches gasification temperature.