Does your Woodgun smell?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I occasionally I've gotten that brown grey smoke from the wood gun. Usually when I reloaded it with to much wood and it wasn't really hot enough.
Sometimes it has filled the neighbor hood!!!.

Have you ever gotten that with the Attack?

No, if I load it up, I have a plan as to where the heat goes. No idleing, so the lower chaimber just roars up all of the smoke, I can get some light blue smoke at idle and it smells like someone burning wood in a closed-off airtight, but nothing like what I had on a regular basis with the smoke dragon. It drove me nuts, and knowing that the smoke had all kinds of btu's in it that were not combusted was even worse. Problem solved with gasser. Wife still wonders when I go outside and look up at the chimney when there is a fire going and smile.
TS

No, if I load it up, I have a plan as to where the heat goes. No idleing, so the lower chaimber just roars up all of the smoke, I can get some light blue smoke at idle and it smells like someone burning wood in a closed-off airtight, but nothing like what I had on a regular basis with the smoke dragon. It drove me nuts, and knowing that the smoke had all kinds of btu's in it that were not combusted was even worse. Problem solved with gasser. Wife still wonders when I go outside and look up at the chimney when there is a fire going and smile.
TS

The brown smoke happens once in a while. Again, only when it is reloaded with to much wood at once. Remember a WG doesn't idle. When it reaches the high water temperature it shuts off. The fan is off and even if the wood is smoldering in the firebox nothing is coming out of the flue. So it is only be possible to produce smoke when the unit is on and thats when I also have a plan for the heat;) . Grey or blue smoke will always appear when the unit fires back up from an "idle" or "off" mode. But goes away quickly as it reaches gasification temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.