Doesnt like chunks or limbs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eisele

Mar 21, 2009
South Jersey
I scrounge wood and purchase dumpster loads of wood ocassionally and heat my house and my grandmothers house and try to sell some wood on the side to pay for my wood fund as I call it. So I have put in the local paper 65 dollar truck loads of hardwood for sale delivered last week that is two year seasoned. I recieved a phone call yesterday from some guy wanting to see the wood because he is tired of buying junk wood that falls apart before I deliver it. So that is cool with me and he comes over and starts nit picking about how i have a lot of limbs and chunks in my pile and he doesnt like to burn them so i said I can pick out mainly just the splits for him and he points over to my stacked out pile for my home use and says I have all the nice wood in there. At that point I was tired of listening to this poophead in the pooring rain about how he doesent like limbs or chunks and how I have a nice stack for my self when it is the same wood that is sitting in the pile for sale that i kindly told him to stop wasting my time and get off my property. Limb or chunks btus is btus plus isnt it all gonna burn anyway.

65 a truck load is almost 200 a cord and I wouldn't want limbs or chunks either but that's just me. That's premium prices around here.

rdust said:
65 a truck load is almost 200 a cord and I wouldn't want limbs or chunks either but that's just me. That's premium prices around here.

for the most part i agree ,im not one to be picky ...but if i was paying a top dollar price id want nice straight splits of the good stuff
but im kinda spoiled as we get full size pickup loads of seasoned hardwood for 40 bucks here in Pa.

If it's good dry wood who cares what size it is.At a premium price it should be well seasoned but it sounds like it would be at two years.You can always use the small stuff in the shoulder season.

There are sellers, buyers and shoppers.

Anything priced fairly for it's quality will sell,
if there is a demand.

Because I scrounge all the wood I have, my stacks seem like 50% ends, chunks, crotches, elbows, Ys, and other unwanted wood rejects. I take what I can get. One nice thing about holz hausen stacking is that there is a middle area where oddball pieces can be tossed.

Nothing was stated about what size those "limbs" are. Any decent wood cutter is going to cut up limbs as long as they are worth burning. I cut down to at least 3" diameter. The rest goes on the brush pile. Also, many of those limbs make excellent wood for night fires. That is why we don't split everything. I like rounds for holding fires....but not too big.

I have given a min or two of thought to selling some seasoned wood but one of the reasons I didnt go further than thinking about it is my stacks have branches, chunks, some wood that is part punky, various lengths, etc... mixed in with good "cord wood" For me, it all burns well and I dont care but if I was buying it I wouldnt want these "others" in it unless it was discounted.

I guess you can call me Mr. Fuss Bucket too. I turn down free wood because it's got too many chunks and odd pieces.
I live on a small city sized lot and spent close to $2,000 dollars on my woodshed (fence) for a place to stack my wood nice and neatly and eliminate obtrusive piles of wood and tarps. Chunks and branches are hard to stack and better suited to be piled in heaps or in the middle holz hausens like Wood Duck suggests, but I don't have the room for that, so I make sure my wood is split into uniform splits precisely 16" long for good stack ability in my woodshed.
If I had a couple acres out back I'd probably make myself some holz hausen stacks and throw all those odds and ends in there, but I don't so no chunks or branches for me either, thanks.

For me I wouldn't want to pay for a lot of chunks and limbs. Chunks are hard to stack . . . and limbs burn up pretty quickly. That said, I use limbs and chunks . . . part of my "all wood is good" philosophy and in fact my friend often makes comments about how small some of the wood that I cut is . . . I use the wood, but I wouldn't want to pay for it if there was a lot in the pile.

Now I should also add that this comes with a pretty big caveat . . . if I needed some wood and if I found some wood that was well seasoned and if the price was right, well hey, even if there were some limbs and chunks I would take the wood because to be frank I would rather have some wood that burns well, but may not stack nice and neat vs. having wood that looks great while stacked, but doesn't burn worth crapola . . . and if I was getting a good deal price-wise that would be the deal sealer.

That said, the great thing about a business transaction like this is . . . if the buyer doesn't want to pay the price for the product as presented he or she can walk away . . . and if the seller doesn't want to make the sale because they feel the buyer is a PIA then they can refuse to sell.

he just wanted a better deal. you should have said I'll knock X off the price if you don't make me sort it for you. I would imagine that 65 would be a decent rate for seasoned wood in your local. how much can you fit in your truckloads?

Well since that guy left i have sold three truck loads and the people were happy with it. The truck load is a full size tacoma and I had a guy come in a full sized dodge ram and take 2 loads.

I guess it's a good deal if it's a FULL truckload. I assume you mean one full bed load, w/o side boards... Below is about where I stop loading w/o side boards...

Loadofwood.jpg

Truck-load.jpg

Truck-load2.jpg

I can fit quite a lot of wood in the back of my short bed Ram. If it's dry you don't have to worry about the weight either. I helped to pick up a load of c/s/d wood this year and bet I had 2/3 of a cord in the back.

Matt

yeah for 65 it is loaded level with the bed anything else would have to be more money and it is still a good load for dry wood for 65 in southern new jersey where green wood is sold for 200 to 220 a cord.

Status
Not open for further replies.