Dog chasing deer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good one, lol. You're forgiven the day late thing...

If you and the missus ever decide to venture to the banana belt of Maine and by chance drop by, tell her the resident canid will be leashed for proper introductions. And isn't allowed to be a PITA.

(I'm a "cat person" and absolutely loathe "in your face" dogs! My motto is: I hate dogs. Rex is at the bottom of the totem pole here; superceded by 3 cats and two humanoids.)

Any dog I see chasing deer on my property or attacking anything near me wont come home. I will empty a mag into that mutt faster than Clint Eastwood on Punks in San Fran. Anyone incourging their dog to chase deer has to have a screw loose. WHY on earth would you encourage that type of behavior?

Topshelf said:
WHY on earth would you encourage that type of behavior?
Umm... to keep the deer away. The damn deer can roam freely on 16 of my 18 acres. It's when they come into my yard and ruin my shrubs that I put the dog on them.

Topshelf said:
Any dog I see chasing deer on my property or attacking anything near me wont come home. I will empty a mag into that mutt faster than Clint Eastwood on Punks in San Fran. Anyone incourging their dog to chase deer has to have a screw loose. WHY on earth would you encourage that type of behavior?

Yup the 2cent solution works pretty well in our neck of the woods also. Keep your dog on your property or it will suffer the consequence because of a dumb owner. not fair to the dog but. Be safe.
Ed

colebrookman said:
Topshelf said:

Yup the 2cent solution works pretty well in our neck of the woods also. Keep your dog on your property or it will suffer the consequence because of a dumb owner. not fair to the dog but. Be safe.
Ed

Dogs only doin what it knows especially if hungry.
Better shoot owner first!

[quote author="BrotherBart" date="1270181893"]

When the one went after the cat sitting on my lap the .44 mag hollow point in a tree five feet from his head changed his mind. The last time the one that bashed the door showed up emptying a clip into the woodpile got the owner yelling for him to come home pretty fast.]

Damn, I believe I would either check or change the sights on that pistola. ;-)

Down here in the brush country, many miles from town, some folks take to dumping off dogs. Then they will turn to killing calves, goats, or whatever they can to survive. Neighbors, though miles away, generally know each others dogs. So, if one stray shows up, it's gone. May sound cruel but there is also the threat of rabies spread by coyotes, dogs etc. which occurs all to frequent in this area. Better safe than sorry.

Topshelf said:

The WI DNR promotes dogs as an effective deterrent to crop damage for orchards, truck farms etc. A dog that likes to chase inside of an invisible fence is far cheaper and more effective than anything else out there. Remember, a damage permit still needs somebody pulling the trigger, in daylight also, plus you won't get a damage permit for a couple of chewed bushes and a some sweet corn.

This really doesn't sound like a dog that is going to get shot for running deer. All the pits I've ever seen are extremely people oriented.

Reminds me of a family I did some work for at one time. They had a pug, jack russel, pit and an argentine adoba. The three year old boy loved to antagonize all of the dogs, the jack russel would bark and nip, the pug would draw blood, the pit loved the attention and the adoba would completely ignore him. Everytime I knocked on the door when the father wasn't home the adoba had it's nose out the door and would hold it right within an inch of my fly and growl as one of the little girls tried unsuccessfully to pull it back in and invite me in. Um, no thanks. When the father was around that same dog would rub her cheek against my hip. I"ll take that dog or Solar's pit any day. They're just doing their jobs.

Yea well the WI DNR count a lot of invisible dear too . years ago they had a big hunt going on here for a pack of dogs that were running dear down in a big swamp not to far from me . The problem with letting a dog run a dear is at first its a game till they get a taste for the kill then its all over .

I don't know what the DNR's problem with counting is, maybe it has something to do with an unquestioning faith in global warming? I remember vividly two or three years ago at this time the dozens or even hundreds of dead deer sticking out of the sides of the melting snowbanks on both sides of HWY 173 south of Babcock, sure didn't see that many this year, though they may still be counting them for all I know.

If they do happen to catch one, you could always use the old chicken trick. Tie it around the dogs neck until it falls off, they'll never look at a chicken again.

I have no interest in a member of my family playing ball with a deer. She is lucky she didn't get a vet bill out of the video opp.

My dog is an Australian Sheperd, a herder. From inside the house, he can sense (hear, smell, see?) the deer in the woods 50 yards away with all the windows closed. When I open the door he heads straight to them. But he stops at the invisible fence. Like all dogs should do. I'll keep my dog in my yard if everyone else does the same. The funniest one was when a big deer wanted to come around the canal and cross through my yard. The dog stood behind the invisible fence barking at him until the deer couldn't take it any more. The deer charged the dog and the dog ran past me into the garage as fast as he could run. The deer didn't turn away until he was 10 feet from me standing in the doorway. I thought he was coming in.

I let the cat take care of the issue:

Attachments

• 7-13-09 The standoff.jpg
    7-13-09 The standoff.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 240
Topshelf said:
Anyone incourging their dog to chase deer has to have a screw loose. WHY on earth would you encourage that type of behavior?

Not only do we encourage them to chase deer we TRAIN them to. I've had walker hounds, redbones, blueticks and beagles (3 currently) that KNEW how to track/trail/chase deer while barking to let us know where they were. In over 35 years of deer hunting I've NEVER had one of our hounds actually CATCH a live deer that had not been shot.

BTW, its a lot harder to kill a deer using dogs than by sitting in a blind/stand.

It didn't take long for the deer to adjust to the dog and just come back later. I picked up 4000' of wire from TSC to beef up the fence they around the garden as they put a good dent in the new strawberry growth a few days ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.