Dog rawhide chew tossed onto hot Jotul lid - how to clean?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
My very last fire of last season ended with a wet rawhide chew landing on the lid of Jotul F3. The dog had given it a toss and it landed with a sizzle, and sort of cooked for 5 seconds until I could pull it off. It left some kind of thin .... I don't know what to call it... skin or burn mark about 2" x 3" that would not wipe off after the stove cooled. It looks like rust but is not.

I figured I would take care of it over summer but you know how that goes...now I need to scrub it with some kind of abrasive sponge or brush but want to avoid needing to refinish the enamel as it is otherwise in top shape.

Thoughts? How about a Magic Eraser? I wanted to ask before trying anything

Try wiping it off when the stove is HOT. Use a wet cotton or terry cloth rag or towel & wear gloves. You might get lucky & get it all with the first rub or two. Let us know how you make out...

Daksy has made good suggestions. I just might add a little vinegar & baking soda mix with the water . Harmless sizzle I believe.

my suggestion would be to put a very wet heavy rag on top (heat should help) with some dish detergent, and if that doesn't budge it, maybe try to lightly scrape with a wooden shim (and again, you could soak it in water to make it softer, especially if you snap off a bit to make it thicker or stronger). But if you think about it, all our mothers very likely used SOS pads on enamelled pans and roasters, so plenty of water, soap from the pad and a light touch if you had to progress that far and maybe as a last resort a squirt of ceramic stovetop cleaner with a soft cloth and light touch. The vinegar still may be necessary, though, if the water is hard and the stove warm enough to evaporate any of the water.

Last edited:
I wouldn't try anything yet. I would call the stove manufacturer and ask them what they suggest you should try first. There are certain types of ingredients in those rawhide bones that could use a certain cleaner to take it off easier.

Fire the stove up, get it good and hot, then rub that spot vigorously with your dog.*

*j/k, of course...I'm a pet lover to the core.

I've used steel wool with success for rust, spilled oatmeal, and assorted other "stove stains".

Status
Not open for further replies.