Doghouse

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
I've seen the "doghouse" mentioned in some posts, and think it is a reference to the small steel hump that is right inside the door on the floor of the stove insert that prevents the last piece of wood on the bottom from laying flat on the floor of the stove. I don't see any holes in it, so I don't think it is an air inlet. Mybe there just to ensure circulation from the air that goes past the glass in front? While I'm very familiar with being in the "doghouse" at home, I can't figure out what it is for in stove. Anyone know its purpose?

upload_2016-1-2_10-48-47.png

Not sure about this stove, but the doghouse in the Oslo (and many other Jotuls) has several holes in metal to allow the air to come through . . . removing the doghouse gives one access to the sliding air mechanism.

Usually there are holes in the backside of it, facing into the coal bed. With the stove cool clean all the ashes away from it and either use a mirror to look at the back or try to feel around, you should come across some holes. They will be really small, like on my Jotul insert it had 2 holes that I could 'plug' with a #10 bolt, or maybe it was #12, I can't remember for sure. My hearthstone had 4 holes. I believe they help burn down the coal bed, since epa stoves don't have a really strong primary air you end up with lots of coals otherwise.

Usually there are holes in the backside of it, facing into the coal bed. With the stove cool clean all the ashes away from it and either use a mirror to look at the back or try to feel around, you should come across some holes. They will be really small, like on my Jotul insert it had 2 holes that I could 'plug' with a #10 bolt, or maybe it was #12, I can't remember for sure. My hearthstone had 4 holes. I believe they help burn down the coal bed, since epa stoves don't have a really strong primary air you end up with lots of coals otherwise.
I'll take a closer look with a mirror next time I clean it all the way down (maybe this spring!) I felt around when I was installing it and did not feel any holes, and it is a permanent feature on this stove, it is welded in. Also, this stove does leave a decent number of coals when it burns down.

I'm not familiar with your stove at all, so maybe not but I'd be surprised if there wasn't holes in it. I just snapped a quick inside-out pic of my Jotul since I have it sitting here off to the side right now...

IMG_0019-1200.JPG

Yep, you were all right! Three holes. I let the stove cool off this afternoon when I was out splitting, just to take a closer look, cleared the ashes away and got the mirror and flashlight, and there they were. Seems like ashes will fall down into them, I'm going to need to figure out how to get em vacuumed out sometime.

Reactions: OhioBurner©
Status
Not open for further replies.