Dogwood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
American dogwood and Asian or Kousa "dogwood" are two completely different species.
Looking at the Audubon Field Guide, there are several native species of Dogwood in the US. Alternate-leaf Dogwood range is Northeastern US including all of New England, but there are a couple little spots in AL, MS and GA. Flowering Dogwood, the one I see a lot of here which has showy flowers in spring and distinctive bark, has range covering most of the Eastern US except upper New England and extends west into TX, AR, MO and OK. I'm no botanist, so I guess there could be some Alternate-leaf here, and I just haven't seen it...range is close to us. There's another specie across the Northern US and into Canada but it's more of a shrub.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQd7cwdcwrgoSiguxaqe2P71InIttA8BdcodB60FmUpvfYEG72-.jpg
I threw one split in just to see how it would do. It was like a stick of coal glowing bright and hot. I'm gonna save them for colder nights. It would probably make a great mix with oak.
That sounds like the Flowering Dogwood I see here. Very dense, can be hard to split, and coals like crazy, similar to Black Locust. Yes, it works well mixed with other stuff...hard to start by itself.

Dogwood is a very dense tree, which makes it great for turning. So great in fact, that people pay good money to buy it. It helps that trees are small - large blanks are hard to find.

Just an fyi, but if you find a large dogwood, you can easily sell the blanks for enough to buy probably a full cord of firewood.

Edit: I'm speaking towards the flowering tree native to the south.

Status
Not open for further replies.