Doing another demo next week...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtp10181

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2007
Marshall, WI
Any other dealers on here find themselves doing a lot of "how to use your wood fireplace" demos for customers? It seems like it should be annoying but its actually quite fun and after being a member here for almost a year I find myself very confident with the customers. I actually look forward to talking to the customers who say their glass keeps getting black, or, they keep getting smoke in the house (clogged cap). After lugging in a load of my own wood and getting a good fire going, I usually visit for an hour or so and talk about tricks and tips for using the stove/fireplace as well as wood trying technique. They are usually totally amazed at the performance of the unit with some decent wood. I actually found myself offering to a customer today to come to their house without it being requested, which is the one I have setup for next week. The last customer I talked to before that, when I offered to swing by that afternoon, he retracted and said he would check out the cap himself when it wasn't snowing outside (yes, I must be insane). Have not heard back from him so I assume all is well.

Well I guess I'm done rambling, I felt like making my own post and this is what I was thinking about. I only wish there was a better way to share the wealth of knowledge. Hmmm... just got an idea. I think I need to do a training class at my store for all the other employees, heh.

just an idea maybe . . . took a night class at a local high school before I bought my first house. That prompted me to go out and do some add'l homework. That class (taught by a realtor and mortgage broker, and yes they did get some financial gain out of it) was worth every penny.

We would need them to set up some stoves at the high school - maybe the Vo Tech!

We often dealt with this type of customer, and although I had to go out once in a while, the first line of defense was giving them a printed sheet called "wood tips" and then letting them come to the shop and grab 4 or 5 good splits of our wood. That usually did the trick. It goes back to the old maxim "give a man a fish....or teach a man to fish".

jtp10181 said:
<snip> I actually found myself offering to a customer today to come to their house without it being requested, which is the one I have setup for next week. The last customer I talked to before that, when I offered to swing by that afternoon, he retracted and said he would check out the cap himself when it wasn't snowing outside (yes, I must be insane). Have not heard back from him so I assume all is well..<snip>.

Or his frozen carcass is lying in a heap on the side of his house. Don't know where in Madison he lives but I have had an opportunity to get on my roof for about 2 hours since Thanksgiving.... and surpise surprise, look out the windows of your shop. It's snowing again. ;)

Good for you jpt. I'm sure the customers appreciate the extra effort and you will be rewarded with more customers in the future.

With an attitude like that, you are going to be very successful indeed. You might want to consider having the one's who like your service invite a friend or two when you go to their house.
Too bad you couldn't do those type classes at a local home show; but where would the flue go?

I always tell the customers that is why they came to a dealer who specializes in fireplaces. I will stand by our product and installations and do whatever it takes for the customer to enjoy their fireplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.