Doing God's work

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff_t

Minister of Fire
Sep 14, 2008
SE MI
One of my friends at work cuts trees on the side, as a ministry. He has a bucket truck, and does some pretty technical work. I have often offered to help, especially before he got his 066 and needed a bigger saw, but our schedules never jived. He took a job about ten miles from my house, and called the other day to see if I wanted to take the wood. Of course, two walnuts and a bit of sugar maple.

CAM00030.jpg

A couple of the 'square' rounds

CAM00027.jpg

Personally, I think he gets taken advantage of all the time. He works for donations, and the homeowners here 'could only give him $400'. Now, when I was there yesterday morning getting a load, they were loading up one of three 60's Camaros to go drag racing. He took down a 70' walnut out of power lines, a rotten maple 15' away from the house, and another big walnut that was rotten at the base. Easily a $2000 job. He doesn't see it that way, and is happy for whatever he gets to help with the next job.

That sounds like a lot more risk for $400 than most insured services would ever touch.
I've got a guy with a bucket truck that'll drop good sized trees for ~100/each(multiple trees) that's not cleaning anything up though, and I'm not fussy and very flexible with when he can get around to the job.

They did a nice job. They don't have a chipper, but they piled all the brush in the back yard for the homeowners to burn. All three trees were bucked and in piles. It actually looked like a real professional job, complete with oddball length rounds and crooked cuts ;lol.

I have it in a different spot from the rest of my stash. My intention is to get it processed, try to sell it in a couple of years for a premium, and give him the money.

His intentions are to help those that need work done, but can't afford a tree service. They started helping people from his church, and it has grown from there. It costs $1200/year just to keep the truck on the road, plus fuel and maintenance. They keep enough firewood for themselves, and give the rest away. The guy has a heart of gold

His intentions are to help those that need work done, but can't afford a tree service. They started helping people from his church, and it has grown from there. It costs $1200/year just to keep the truck on the road, plus fuel and maintenance. They keep enough firewood for themselves, and give the rest away. The guy has a heart of gold
I could tell, from day one, the kind of guy you were......

This thread goes to show that I was 100% correct. You're a first class dude, all the way. When you go to sell that load of wood, you make sure you get in touch with me.....

My buddy and I kinda do the same thing, we do trees quite similarly. We offer options to people, and our fees cannot be beat. Just like the job I did yesterday at scout camp.....troop wanted to pay me for the work, I said absolutely NOT. This was for the kids, pure and simple......Oh, and also because I enjoy doing it so much!!

He isn't getting taken advantage of if he's doing it out of his heart for the right reason. If he's doing it a ministry it sounds like he's standing where the big man tells him to. Seems like a lucky calling to do your service in the timber.

They did a nice job. They don't have a chipper, but they piled all the brush in the back yard for the homeowners to burn. All three trees were bucked and in piles. It actually looked like a real professional job, complete with oddball length rounds and crooked cuts ;lol.

I have it in a different spot from the rest of my stash. My intention is to get it processed, try to sell it in a couple of years for a premium, and give him the money.

Very cool man...very cool.

Wonderful to here there are still some GOD loving people out there. You can NOT out give GOD, i take my little teaspoon and dump it on his pile when he asks and then God takes his massive dump truck and puts it on mine. That was some massive walnut rounds maybe shoulda left some ten foot lengths and taken it to the lumber yard.

What do you mean by he does the cutting as a ministry? Sounds interesting.

Just that. He has a few different guys that help, and they do tree work for those who can't afford to pay a tree service. Charges no fee, but accepts donations.

Very cool. I bet seniors especially like his help.

Jeff, I say good for him and you too. For many this will be a difficult concept to understand. However, for Christians it is much easier to understand as we are instructed to help others; even love others as ourselves! Sometimes it get difficult but there can be immense satisfaction in doing these things. Consider folks how tithe there 10% to the church and perhaps set aside another 10% as free will offerings. Is this so much different than maintaining the equipment and putting in the labor to help their neighbors?

Now the question comes in that many will take advantage of folks like this. Of course there will be some but let us not forget that the opposite thing will also happen. There may be a job that could be done for, maybe $150 but the person getting the help donates $300 to the cause. Yes, it happens.

We see the same sort of thing here. Many times we've allowed folks to come onto our land and cut firewood and have never charged them for it. For sure we've learned there are many takers but few givers for some things like this. However, we also know there are many givers who take little. We may help out some poor soul who has had a run of bad luck. We already have one lined up for this coming winter. We know a fellow who just had some back surgery done and they heat with wood. They do have some wood on hand but not enough for all winter. No problem and he has been informed that I'll kick his butt if I learn he is cutting wood this winter. Instead, he can bring his tractor and wagon to our place and we'll load up some very dry wood that will keep his family warm all winter long. To us it is neighbor helping neighbor. Our Lord called us to do this and we do not look at people as our source of receiving. Whatever we get in return really comes from the Lord. That is the way it has been forever and will continue. Thank God.

It is crazy to think about the blessings we receive from doing things that do not have a direct return for us, if we do them in THE LORD's name.

Great work to you Jeff and your friend!

TS

A good man . . . and yeah . . . he might get taken advantage of from time to time . . . but call it God's work, fate, karma or what have you . . . but it seems as though good things often end up happening to good people and bad things often end up happening to bad people . . . not always . . . but often enough . . . or at least in the end tally.

Too bad more people don't treat each other as they would like to be treated.

What a wonderful group of people. True friends and neighbors following The Lord. May God Bless all.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.